Louder -- ported or bandpass

adbd
Unregistered guest
i got 2 10"s in a sealed box. sq is good but it's not loud.i am lookin to buy a box so that i could be heard from far away. one of my friend have 2 10"s in bandpass only 400 rms total. i will hear him half block away!!!!should i get bandpass or ported box?

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 213
Depends on the subs. Ported will sound good and play loud, but the box design needs to match the sub. Bandpass is effeciant, but only sounds good at a certain freqs. I would go ported if I was you, but I am also a SQ nut.

Username: Torres24

Yucaipa, CA United States

Post Number: 2
I have a Performance Teknique ICBM779 1200W Amp and 2 ICBM 5712DX 1000W 12' subs(Same brand) in my 93 Jeep Wrangler. Amp Max power output is 600W x 2CH @ 2OHM. I want my subs to hit hard and clean. How should I set up my controls to get the best performance without killing my battery/altenator, too. The amp has a subsonic filter, Amplifier X-Over and 0.2v-6v gain. Also, what would be better for the subs to face towards the back, or facing up into the air? They are in a sealed box.

if anyone can help me that would be great.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6097
a bandpass box will usually be more efficient and thus louder than ported or sealed. However, bandpass don't play as deeply as they are usually tuned around 45-70Hz which may be loud but pretty much louds lousy doing it.
If all you want is loud though, look at a 4th or 6th order bandpass box.
the reason you can hear your friend from so far away is because his system is poorly designed, with little to no sound deadening to keep all the power he's wasting inside his car.
The best systems can be deafening in a car but outside of that car, you shouldn't be able to hear much at all.
remember sound is energy.
the more energy you waste putting sound outside the car, the less you hear inside the car where it matters.

Bronze Member
Username: Avalanche

Post Number: 54
I have to agree with Glass. What is the point in advertizing the system when you can't enjoy it yourself. Or my favorite is you hear them coming and as soon as they pull up you hear the car more ratteling more than the bass. LOL

adbd
Unregistered guest
that's true, glass. right now i belive i have best system because inside it's nice,solid, and loud but. but from outside someone won't even notice i have subs. but i was hoping to try new things. 6th order bandpass?? never heard of it.

sqphx
Unregistered guest
i have never heard a good bandpass box. i heard a moderate setup once but the guy paid $800 to have it custom built (HA!) and it still sucked compared to the average sealed or well designed vented enclosure. also, how long do you think it will take for your system to get robbed if you advertise it everywhere you go. ground pounding systems are for obnoxious teenagers who would prefer to impress their friends and piss off neighbors rather than have an enjoyable stereo

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6190
6th order aren't very common. They're very hard to design and even harder to build.
If you mess up in construction or calculations, you'll blow the cones out of the subs as a result.
A 6th order box is highly efficient, and generally tuned high, around 70Hz. They're extremely loud, but they sound awful. They are meant purely for SPL events and not at all for musicality.
Here's some info on 6th order boxes:

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/bnd/6thorder.htm

adbd
Unregistered guest
that's a weird box.may be oneday i will try to build that.lol. thanks for that info. i belive i will go with ported. good power handling, ok sq, good spl, a lot better than bandpass.ok,glass. i saw 2 boxes on ebay. one is tuned to 31 hz and one 58 hz. which will play loud?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6231
mmmm 58Hz will be louder due to cabin gain, but the 31Hz box will sound MUCH better and deeper.
If this box is for listening, and good musicality, go with the 31Hz port.

adbd
Unregistered guest
that's cool. i am buying the 31 hz one. thanks. 1 more qustion to go . this box has 1 cubic feet in vented area. my sub recommend 1-1.75 cubic feet. so, the box should be fine.but i think i saw somewhere i suppose to subtract the area of magnet part from the vented area........no clue.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6404
net volume, yeah.
you want to subtract the displacement of the speaker from the box volume.
the TS specs of the speaker should tell the displacement
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us