New system

nox
Unregistered guest
ive had 2 12'' subs in a custom built box for about a year now. in all i spent maybe 100 bucks for everything, and the box isnt very good. i really just wanted a system in my car to see if i like it. when i "upgrade" i want to go louder. will i get more from a store bought box and 2 15s. keep in mind im not a super enthuesist when it comes to this, so im not looking to spend alot of money.

Anonymous

Are you going to upgrade your amp?

Do you have room for a good box for the 15s?

What subs are you going with?

Don't mean to scare you off with all the questions, but we need more info.

In most cases 15s will be louder than 12s.

nox
Unregistered guest
i will eventually up grade the amp, its 1000w right now. im thinkin of volfenhag 1000w subs. the box i made was pretty big, so im guessing i can fit a dual 15'' box in place of it. what would be the best kind of box to get? i was just going to get one of those carpeted sealed boxes, they usually run like 49 bucks or so.

Anonymous

What kind of music do you listen to the most?

nox
Unregistered guest
rap

Anonymous

Go with 15s in a ported box tuned to 30hz

nox
Unregistered guest
tuned? do the boxes come tuned?

Help2
Unregistered guest
If theyre ported...
Tou can change tuning by adjusting
port length, area...and box size.

nox
Unregistered guest
how much of a difference will sealed vs ported be?

Help2
Unregistered guest
bout 3 db in favor of the ported box, depending on the tuning.

nox
Unregistered guest
is that alot?

Help2
Unregistered guest
well...sort of...
to gain a 3 db increase...

you either have to double the power in watts...
(eg...1 400wRMS sub on a 200wRMS amp VS a 1 400wRMS sub on a 400wRMS amp)

or double the cone area...
(eg...1 400wRMS sub on 1 400wRMS amp VS 2 200wRMS
subs on 1 400 wRMS amp)

or use a ported box instead of a sealed box.

This is not an exact science of course...
lots of variables involved...
but do you get the drift?

nox
Unregistered guest
yea i think i get it, it sounds like a pretty good increase but i dont want to spend more on a box than the subs. to start ill be runnin them on a 1000w amp (so 500w each) then later im going to get a 2000w amp (1000w each). with that i hope it will already be loud enough to where 3 db wont be much of a difference. you think that will be fine? also, im not one of those "street banger" types, i dont wanna make the entire block hear me, but sitting at a red light how big of a radius would the cars around hear/feel that setup?

Bronze Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 29
what kind of amp is it, because most likely 1000w amps is the peak of the amp, and it only produces 500 watt rms which is only giving you 2 subs 250watts each at the most if the wiring is correct at 1 ohm or 2 ohm. BUt tell the make and model of the amp then i can tell you what subs will hit your amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us