Wiring RCA's for a 4 channel amp

Bronze Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 68
Having a 4 channel amp, it has two sets of low level inputs from the HU. 2 channels will be used for component speakers, and other 2 for subs. Do I need to run 2 sets of RCA's or just 1 and get some sort of a splitter?

Help2
Unregistered guest
If you use a y-cable you lose the ability to fade.
If it were just subs, a y-cable would work.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 583
Hey Oleg, when you say 2 sets of rca inputs from HU, are you talking about front and rear channels?
You can use 2 channels for the front/components, the other 2 to power your rear speakers and the sub by using it as 3-way. In total, it's like a 5 channel. My amp allows that. All this means you will need to get non polarized caps and coils.
If on the other hand you're only using the rear rca cables from the HU, then you can get a splitter to connect the signal to both sets of inputs. Then you can use 2 channels for the rear componets and the other 2 for your subs.
Hope that helps.

Bronze Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 70
Ok cool, I think I undestand. What advantage would there be to running 2 sets of RCA's from the HU? 1 set for the components and 1 set for the subs. My friend's only going to have 1 set of speakers in the doors, so the amp will be used for those and 2 subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 596
Hey Oleg, what do you mean running 2 sets of rca? Are you talking about 2 sets for the same channel like front? If you haven't noticed it yet, but the rear rca connectors offer more bass than the front. At least that's how it is with my HU. I tried using the front channels for the sub, and I lost almost half in bass. When I switched it back to rear rca, the bass is 2x louder.
Just thought you might want to know that.

Bronze Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 78
Really??? Didn't know that. I have a JVC KD-LH3100
Same with that, if you know?

Silver Member

Post Number: 609
Hey Oleg, mine was JVC KD-DV5000. I'm sure it's similar. Some people say front and rear rca are the same, but I do know for a fact they're not. The rear has more bass.
So if you're going to use 2 channels for the subs, use the rear rca plugs for them.

Bronze Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 86
Ok, let me summarize it for you and you can tell me if I'm right. So the HU has 2 sets of outputs, front and rear. The 4 channel amp has 2 sets of inputs. If channels 3+4 are for subs, then I would connect the rear outputs from the HU to input for ch 3+4, and the front outputs to ch 1+2 inputs. Right? Thanks Isaac
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us