Glass Help with 9835 Setup

Bronze Member
Username: Flyfishin4trout

Park City, UT USA

Post Number: 18
I heard that you were the guy to talk to about helping setup a sweet sounding setup file for a alpine 9835 head unit. I went through the ipersonalize setup and the stereo actually sounded worse. :0 If you could point me in the right direction I would great appreciate it. Here is my system

2 sets 6.5 morel hybrid ovation components front and rear

One boston custom enclosure with 2 10's

Mcintosh MC431m 100x4 for the comps

US amps de500 powering the subs at 2 ohms

I will be greatly indebted to you. Thanks man

Bronze Member
Username: Terminatermule

Australia

Post Number: 17
Hey Eric,

Mate i'm not Glass but I do own one of those HU's and I may be able to help you a little - firstly - do you have the specs on the speakers and subs mate?

The little graphs that show where it starts to dropoff is pretty useful to you when you setup the 9835. let us know what info you have on your stuff and I may be able to help you some more.

Cheers Glenn

PS - I setup mine with just the speaker info and it made a huge improvement, the sound was fuller and the speakers didn't struggle with things they shouldn't be asked to do. The i-personalize rocks :-)

Bronze Member

Park City, UT USA

Post Number: 19
Hey Moorey,

Thanks for the response. The only specs I can dig up are the ones that are on Morels website for the components. http://www.morel.co.il/car.htm#

The components I have are the Hybrid Ovations. Is that enough info. I wish there were some graphs and such but hardly any info. Thanks again

Bronze Member

Australia

Post Number: 19
Hi Eric,

There is a fair bit of info there, but having now seen the speaker that you refer to - I need to ask this of the group, the crossover that Eric has with those speakers, does it limit the freqs going to the woofer as well as the tweeter? If so Eric then the HU won't be able to do that much for you as the crossover will filter it out anyway, if not then setup the 9835 so that it only feeds the nominal frequencies to those speakers - also I would make sure there are no filters on your amps stuffing with the signal at all. They are very nice speakers - They should sound great if the signal is clean going to them.. can you define whats actually bad about the sound - before and after the i-personalize settings were loaded into the HU? Sorry about the 20 questions but I need to narrow the problem down a little. If anyone else can throw their two bobs in that'd be great, also if my advice is not correct please correct me :-)

Cheers Moorey

Bronze Member

Park City, UT USA

Post Number: 20
I dont really know how to describe it other than the highs arent bright enough and the rest of the sound is kinda muddy. It just sounds blahhh. I am powering it very cleanly with a Mcintosh MC431M. So that shouldnt be an issue. I dont know what you mean by nominal frequencies. Could you recommend something to read on all this frequency stuff. I need to learn this for sure. Also one thing I noticed is that on the parametric eq the last setting to the right which is set at 8k. Is that too low since my speakers will handle up to 20k. Just wondering. Clueless I guess. Thanks again. Eric

Bronze Member

Australia

Post Number: 22
Eric,

I will actually have to look at the HU to answer this one, what I mean by "nominal freqs" is just the ones that your speakers are rated to, the prob is that they will do some freqs better than others - which is the little graph I was talking about, it shows where and how they start to drop off. I will see what I can find out about it, perhaps I could build an I-personalize setting and you could give it a try? It may be no better but its worth a shot.

Cheers Glenn
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us