Please give an opinion

Riggs
Unregistered guest
Alright, I'm about to be redoing the sound completely in my car. I have a 2001 mustang. I was advised to put Boston SL80's in front and rear. I have seen a lot of posts here specifically about rear speakers. I will be using them with an Alpine CDA9835 head unit and a JL 300/4 amp. Also, I am going to use two JL 10W3v2D4's with a closed box and a JL 500/1 amp. Could someone please give an opinion on what I should change with this system, if anything. That is about the most my budget can handle, so please keep that in mind. I appreciate the help.

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
Personally, I would do one JL 12w7 vs. two tens with that specific amp in that specific car with those Bostons. Put it in a tight box (65ci)and the sound will be the cleanest you'll know. Later man. Clap, Clap...good job!

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
75 ci...my bad.

Bronze Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 96
I'm assuming you're talking about .75 cf (cubic FEET), not ci (cubic INCHES)?
75 ci = .0434 cf
That's a pretty small box :-)

Riggs
Unregistered guest
Thank you for the advice so far. So you think the W7 instead of the 2 3w2's...I know that is a better sub, but could you please give me an idea on how it would compare in volume, clarity, etc., to the 2 10W3v2's. Also, I'm not sure about one 12, but I do know that I cannot fit 2 12's in my car. Assuming I cannot fit one either, would it still be better to get one 10 W7 than two 10W3v2's. And finally, about how much would the W7's cost (retail)? Once again, thank you for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 191
I would drop the rear fill and 300/4 and go with the higher end boston components (PROS) and a JL 300/2. As for your sub both would be a good choice. I perfer 12s, so personally, I would go with a 12w7 and the JL 500/1. This should keep it in your price range, and give you better sound that your first set up.

Riggs
Unregistered guest
Ah, I would still like to keep the rear fill, however. I know with only fronts you get the "concert effect", but I perfer to hear it somewhat from the back, as well. And if I'm keeping the rears I'm not going to be able to upgrade the front Bostons. Also, I looked into the price for the W7s, and assuming I keep everything the same except the subs, the 12" W7 is going to be a bit much. I might be able to use the 10", but would the difference in sound between the 10W7 and the 2 10W3v2 be worth the $150 for the upgrade? Assuming that I had been willing to sacrifice the rear sound and that the 12" would fit (still not sure) that all looks like it would work out very nicely, so thanks for the help.

Bronze Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 60
dont buy expensive rear speakers. some would advise leaving the stock speakers since they will just be handling a limited range and wont be overpowering.
good article written by GlassWolf:
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 526
Guys, why would you waste the rear speakers? I read Glasswolf's article. He's saying if you adjust the rear speakers properly, it can and will work. I am using full, front and rear speakers in my car and it sounds great. Plus, if you get rid of the rears, you'll never be able to enjoy surround sounds in the future. Don't waste speakers, use them to the max.
Take your time and do it right.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 104
"But again, it is important that you keep it low-volume, band-limited and in mono. If you have a lot of money (send me some) and really want a fancy spare-no-expense type of system, then go ahead and find a good solid pair of mid-bass speakers." --Glasswolf's Article

Bronze Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 61
here's an idea for some good lower end subs. have not personally heard these subs but have heard good things about them:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSID12V3D2

http://adireaudio.com/TextPages/ShivaPageFrameText.htm

one of these guys shouldnt take up too much space and definitely won't break the budget. they probably arent as good as the JL's but that's a cost vs. benefit analysis you'll have to make for yourself. anybody have any thoughts or experiences with these subs? thinking about getting one myself.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 533
Sorry guy, mono rear just doesn't cut it for me :-)
When I'm listening to dvd music/movies, I want the full surround sound effect.

Riggs
Unregistered guest
See, let me clear something up about the rears. In most cars I get where a lot of you are coming from. But in mine the front speakers are low set and right by your legs....it just doesnt sound right once it gets to you when it's only coming from the front. Thank you all once again for all the input though.

Help2
Unregistered guest
"See, let me clear something up about the rears. In most cars I get where a lot of you are coming from. But in mine the front speakers are low set and right by your legs....it just doesnt sound right once it gets to you when it's only coming from the front. Thank you all once again for all the input though."

get an IEK from CDT and some kick panels...
Dont buy speakers for rear fill...theyre a waste.
use that money on ways to fix the front
stage.
you wont regret it.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us