Max sub for sony xm222w amp

Username: Bishgod

Post Number: 1
I got a free crappy sony xm-222w 2 channel amp (yea that's 222watts max on 1 channel, 100w max on both).

The options it gives me are 2 speakers, 2 speakers with sub, or just sub.
Because this thing is so small I'm guessing I can't do 2 speakers and a sub. But what is the largest sub I can put on it?

I don't do car audio. I have stock system in my car with a Pioneer DEH-4600 deck. I just want a little sub to push the sound a bit more, nothing to shake the windows.

I would imagine the largest sub would be 200watt. But there are so many numbers I am unsure. It does say something about only wiring in parallel with 4ohm speakers, and parallel can hurt it. But since I'm doing 1 sub it'd be direct.

The reason I dont just buy a 200watt sub is because I see them and theyre like 10 bucks, can't be much power. So i was wondering if there's some mathmatics that goes into it. And yea I know the amp sucks, but i wanna use it cuz it's free.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 502
Hey Bishgod, you don't have to tell anyone that Sony sucks, cause they really do. Anyhow, that amp is really not powerful enough to drive a sub. It would however be a nice upgrade to your stock unit's power.
When the crook Sony says 222W max, they really mean 50W. If you can get 100W out of it without causing fire, then you'd be lucky. Sony amps are useful during winters though, they make good heater for your trunk :-)
Now on a serious note, 100W rms 4ohm sub will be enough for your free amp. I wouldn't buy anything expensive cause your free amp might clip and burn out the sub. Most cheap amps do that near the max volume.

Post Number: 2
Well that's what i thought. Should I even get a sub then? If so what one would be good? I go around and look and they all look crappy, probably because it's so low power.
Or should I just hook it up to my front (or rear) speakers?
I want whatever would make the best sound difference, doesn't matter what the outcome is, sub or speakers. (As you can tell I'm not a huge audio-phile)

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 507
I'd power the front cause that's where you'd be most of the time right and you'll feel it more. I'm sure when you're at the back, the last thing on your mind is sounds... :-)

Post Number: 3
lol, good point man. Thanks for the quick responses. I'll have to look into it.

Bronze Member
Username: Bassfreak596

Post Number: 26
just for your information i have had run a sony 222 with a kenwood 600w sub (200rms) and 2 6x9's on it for about 3 months and it doesnt sound bad condisering the equipment if u call that is hardly any money.
the thing was enough to shake the wiper on my trunk.. i put the sub in a ported 1.5 cu ft box with a 3inch dia and 8 inches long port.. thats bout it..
give it a try.. it sounded well-not-bad might sound stupid but it worked for me.

doesnt clip or burn out the subs.. keep the gain a little less than the full untill u hear not a loud but very light hissing sound. thats it.. its just enough to hear nice music.
c mon its better when its free.. aint it ?

Bronze Member
Username: Terminatermule

Australia

Post Number: 15
No it still sucks - even when its free :-) I had some sony gear once, just once. The build quality was so poor it was laughable - they were free, new but free, and not worth my time of putting them in a box to try...

Cheers Glenn
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us