Best sub for spl....

Anonymous

What is the best pair of subs for spl for around 250 dollars.

Sucubus
Unregistered guest
2 32" funky pups

Silver Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 209
every one is going to hate me for saying this but these subs really are not that bad slap them into a slot ported box and i bet you well shock the every one that sees them that they came from walmart now this should coast you under $215 and if you brows around on ebay you can a lot of the times find a slot ported box for around $40.00 and S/H if its from a dealer its pretty cheap

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2606842

Bronze Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 40
I would go with the funky pups. They r loud! I don't know if I would go with 32" cause there around $300. You should be fine with a 28" for $225. This will still give you lots of SPL.

Anonymous

but we're looking for a pair of subs plus i know how 18's get slugish to response i cant imagin how bad a 28" sub would be when the drums start banging

Bronze Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 50
What size do you want and how much power to push them?

Sucubus
Unregistered guest
Hey chief...
You said the best subs for SPL.
That doesnt take into effect how crappy its
going to sound.
And the funky pups were a joke.

Anonymous

yeah but there is a point were it can be so sh!ty that you and your friends are like WTF that sucks but it all depends on what kind of music you are listning to rap would be fine for the larger speakers rock i never go over 12" for every SPL system there has to be a percentage of SQ

Anonymous

o yeah i wanted to add that what ever sub you go with do your self a BIG favor, if you want SPL get a SLOT Ported box i garentee you well get the most out of your subs in any case with that kind of a box

Anonymous

is there really a such thing as funky pups?

Sucubus
Unregistered guest
Im not sure if theyre still around...
but yes, theyre real.
They used to sell em in "6 packs"
seriously...

Username: Unbridled304

Chagrin Falls , Ohio

Post Number: 3
you can get around how sluggish the reponse is with a good head unit and timing controls then it depends on the frequency responce you want out of the sub but if you accualy plan to listen to music in this thing and you like rock go with something along the lines of an ID max 12 or a JL 12W7

Username: Tj_19852005

Greentown, IN United States

Post Number: 4
Ok iam being serious if u can supply the power mtxaudio has a 4000 watt 15 and audiobahn has a 34 that is like 5000 rms. these would be great for spl.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
WoW wal*mart?
Did you acutally look at stats?
Says "12-inch 1,000-watt super woofer"
"Max power: 800 watts"
"RMS power 400 watts"
I want to see that thing take 1000 watts...

Username: Tj_19852005

Greentown, IN United States

Post Number: 5
ok maybe the thing at walmart wont but these two things will because i have heard both. look at the specs www.audiobahninc.com no joke dude.

Bronze Member
Username: Kenwa

Post Number: 53
Audiobahn is junk, The MTX sub is legit but for SPL competition only, and just because they can handle that much power doesnt mean anything, that rating is thermal and doesnt mean those subs are the loudest. But either way any sub that cant run off of 1000 watts isnt sensible for everyday use, not to mention you are way out of this guys price range.

Help2
Unregistered guest
Just to clear this up...
"timing controls" or time alignment should not be
to cure sluggishness...
it should be used to adjust for bad placement...
eg. stock locations.
As far as a good pair of subs for SPL...
You can get a pair of Shivas, REs or eDs for
250 bucks...Id go with the eDs, but Im biased :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Araknid

Post Number: 16
why is the mtx for spl only?

Bronze Member
Username: Kenwa

Post Number: 58
Because subs like that are made strictly for SPL competitions where what it sounds like doesnt matter just as long as its loud, so that sub would have horrible SQ.

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 87
IMO, it's not a good idea to catagorize subs by SPL or SQ bacause there's just no standardized way to guage what a sub is going to sound like. you can use your ears, but then it's too late - you already own it. plus, there are so many other variables that determine how a system sounds, it's not always wise to say the sub itself is responsible for SQ or SPL.

the best way to rate a sub is by looking at its performance capabilities. plain and simple, if a sub has a large xmax, a flat BL curve, and adequate power handling, it is most likely going to be able to produce low frequencies with minimal distortion. if a sub has these qualities, you can achieve good SQ from it if the correct enclosure is used.

likewise, take the same sub but with better efficiency (or higher power handling), put it in a different enclosure, and you have an SPL sub.

good performance characteristics can give you whichever you need: SQ, SPL, or both at the same time. you can get SQ response or SPL out of any sub depending on which type of enclosure you use, crossover points, and installation. the more capability the sub has, the lower the distortion and more linear the stroke, so the higher the SPL or the better the sound quality.

when someone says a sub has "good SPL" but has "horrible SQ", what they are really saying is the sub has low performance potential. the reason it has so-called "good SPL" is because the sub is indeed getting loud, but it's producing massive distortion in the process because it has been driven past its limits. does this mean it's not a SQ sub? no. it just means it's been driven past its limits. any sub will sound good up to its limit, and not-so-good after that. knowing a sub's limitations is more useful than trying to classify it as SQ or SPL.

Silver Member
Username: Slap_johnson

Arizona

Post Number: 112
i want to ask you a question, are you looking at competeing in SPL comps.? because i will tell you something right now, the numbers that show up on a meter are very deceiving, one stereo could sound way louder and hit a 147 while the other hit a 150, and another thing about a 15 not haveing a fast response to them, it is all in the install, with a good install you could make a 15 sound like a 10, anyways though, if your looking at competeing i suggest researching and designing a 6th or 8th order enclosure

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 231
actually, if he plans on competing he better get used to losing, 250 bucks wont buy a very competitive set of woofers.
and..

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 02:54 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
o yeah i wanted to add that what ever sub you go with do your self a BIG favor, if you want SPL get a SLOT Ported box i garentee you well get the most out of your subs in any case with that kind of a box

that is not true bro, aero ports are louder in many applications.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us