Subwoofer Wiring Question

Username: Xmantis

Post Number: 5
Hey All,
I've got 2 Coustic CF1244 DVC 4ohm subwoofers set in a plexi/wood enclosure...they're rated at 400 watts rms @ 4 ohms...

Basically, I installed them to my audiobahn A8000T monoblock amplifier and the protection light kept coming on...I thought it was the amp but I got it checked out so it must be the wiring of the subs...

I had them wired in series at first (duh, wrong) but then i rewired in parallel...im at a loss now...

Does anyone know the correct way to wire these 4 ohm subs so that they will be properly wired to the monoblock amp that is stable to 2 ohms?

Thanks for anyone's assistance.

Username: Badchokra

Post Number: 5
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=2&impedance=DVC2x2

try that link

Post Number: 6
oh they're 2 DVC 4 ohm subs. i dont think u can wire it to two ohms. not that i know of atleast. u can do parallel = 1 ohm or series = 4 ohm...

Bronze Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 73
If they're 2 DVC subs at 4 ohms, then you can wire them for 1 ohm, 4 ohm, 8 ohm, or 16 ohm loads. Subwoofers have a rating, they don't have a rating in ohms. Amplifier ratings show you the impedance you'd be running to get the specified Watts.
Courtesy of Crutchfield:
A8000T:
400 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
800 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
Thus, you'd have to run your voice coils on the subs in parallel and the two subs in series so you'd get a 4 ohm load. You're only going to be able to push 400W into the two subs, not the 800W since it isn't possible to wire them to 2 ohms.

Post Number: 7
SPECIFICATIONS:
Power Output: 4 ohms Mono - 400 watts x 1
Power Output: 2 ohms Mono - 800 watts x 1
thats ur amp spec.
wiring in series then parallel should've worked.
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=2&impedance=DVC4x2
use option 2 to double check

Username: Xmantis

Post Number: 8
Ok...Ive double checked the wiring and they look exactly the same as the diagrams you all have sent...they're currently run that way...

but still the protection light comes on...not the amp,and it doesnt SEEM to be the sub wiring...i even regrounded...any ideas what might be causing that protection light to keep coming on?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us