Mounting depth "problem"!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Brooks

Tampa, Fl USA

Post Number: 12
Finding out that my 2001 Rodeo won't accept most of the 6.5 comp sets that I am looking at due to depth problems. Crutchfield says I'm looking at 2.19 without the "bracket" or 2.35 with it. I don't want to cut up the door panel. CDT already e-mailed me back that their slim coax's are my clsoest bet with them. I was also interested in Crystal but they're 2.5! Anyone have any creative ideas?

djsmith1174
Unregistered guest
It sounds like some flat material about 1/2" (lucite, mdf, etc.) thick could be used to solve the problem if the speaker mounts flush in the panel. cut a ring with the inside diameter equal to the speaker opening and the outside diameter equal to the speaker cover. This will decrease the total mounting depth by 7/16" give or take. That would give you the clearance you need. I'm not familiar with the rodeo's panels. But if this solution wouldn't work, you could always fab something out of fiberglass. It's pretty easy to work with once you get the hang of it and cheap to boot. That way you can get the speakers that you want without having to compromise. You may have already thought of all these things. I just wnated to throw out some creative suggestions. I've always found the best solutions come from custom fabrications when there are no simple ones to fit the bill. JMHO.

Sucubus
Unregistered guest
You could buy some door panels from the junk yard,
and chop the crap outta them...if you sell the
car, you could just put the originals back on.

Bronze Member
Username: Brooks

Tampa, Fl USA

Post Number: 13
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm also rethinking my speaker choices. Infinity Kappa's appear to fit, as do Kicker K series. Polks fit as well but I haven't heard much praise for them.
DJSMITH: Will the extra material not cause me to have to cut the door panel to accept the added depth? Am I confused?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us