Amp Suggestion for RE X.X.X 10"

Bronze Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 18
I didn't order the sub yet, so I still have the choice of whatever coil configuration I'd like. What amp would this sub to what it is capable of? Also, does anyone make pre-fabricated boxes for RE subs on the net somewhere? Also, how much of a difference in kick would the X.X.X series be to the MT series? This sub will be squeezed in the back of a small pickup truck cab.
Any help or suggestions appreciated!

Bronze Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 21
http://bigdogcaraudio.com/ http://www.subzeromfg.com/aseries.htm

here are some places to start. the subzero box is reinforced like crazy. it is probably your better bet, more exspensive though

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 251
Is this pickup an extended cab truck or a regular cab???

because, you NOT gonna fit an X.X.X. 10" behind the seat of a regular cab truck...

i had trouble getting my brahma 10" to fit under the back seat of my chevy 1500. these RE and adire 10's have huge magnet structures!

Bronze Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 23
good point. you know if your truck has bucket seats than you can put it in between them.

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 19
Yea it's a regular truck, no extended cab. I'm just pulling the passenger seat forward some to make it fit, I don't have to sit there so I don't care. :-) I was also throwing around the idea of removing the passenger seat but I don't know if I want to go that far. Right now I have a smaller sealed box there but I will get it to fit in there whatever it takes. It's what I have to work with. Anyway, my idea is to have the sub down firing to fit it in, that way I can make it as high as I need to meet the box size requirements. The bottom can stick out about 13 inches and then taper to about 10 or less at the top. After looking at the boxes on those sites, it's pretty clear that I'm going to have to make a box myself, as those obviously won't fit. How much room am I going to need in a for a 10" sealed enclosure?

http://www.users.fast.net/~davis4/truckbox.jpg

How would the down firing sub work for me? Sound crappy or good? Also, any suggestions on the amp? Thanks a lot again!

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 20
My truck has the 60/40 seats.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 252
in a regular cab truck...i'd go w/ 2 decent 12's. not 1 x.x.x. 10"

u may wanna think about a pair of 12's. maybe shivas, compvrs, or something like that.

i'm not saying that your idea wont work...its just that i KNOW you can fit a pair of 12's.

exactly what model truck are we talking about here?

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 21
It's a Ford Ranger '03 standard cab. Why would you suggest 2 12's instead of the 1 10"? Sound difference wise. I was thinking a 10" due to the fact I listen to a lot of fast metal, so that would kick really hard plus be super fast on reaction times. I'm sure the difference wouldn't be much at all between a 10" and a 12" though. Especially with an RE X.X.X. Also, what are you thinking for enclosure construction for 2 12"s? Different than what I'm thinking? Also, Glasswolf, Jonathan, etc, if you have any comments like I'm completely wrong, that's cool, I just want to make everything sound good. Thanks a lot for your help as well marshall and hunter!

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 265
i think marshall is talking about 2 12" lower end subs such as the comp VR, vega MX..etc. i wouldnt go with the Shivas because they need a much larger box to preform. i have 2 12" VMAXs behind the seat of my reg. cab GMC 1500 pickup and they sound really clean. cant wait til they break in to see how loud they can really get :D at the half volume i am limited to right now though, they sound awesome. im sure 1 10" X.X.X. in the box you described above would do just fine though. its all about personal preferance.

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 22
Well what would the difference between a 10" X.X.X and a 12" X.X.X? I kind of only want to go with a one sub solution. How much space does an X.X.X need to perform well in a sealed enclosure? And still what amp am I going to need to power one of those? A reliable 1600W RMS?

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 23
Seems like JBL has 3 distinct choices if I go class D. The BP1200.1 if I go 1200W@2 ohms, GTO1201.1 if I go 787W@4 ohms and 1114W@2 ohms, or the higher priced BPX1100.1 if I go 1141W@4 ohms. That's JBL anyway. Anyone's thoughts on JBL amps?

Gold Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1063
you shouldnt need more than 600-1000w rms to get that trucker movin to full mechanical excursion, pending on the enclosure

its all in the box...

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 24
What would your thoughts be for cubic feet in a sealed enclosure for a 12" X.X.X? Also, how do you figure out how many cubic feet you need from the Thiele Small parameters? Or don't you?

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1064
you dont, the manufacturer usually reccomends an enclosure size for sealed and ported, i would reccomend 1.2-1.8 cubic feet sealed stuff with 1.2-1.8 lbs polyfil and you will get incredible results

GL with it and im also seriously considering a 12" triple X too

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 26
What exactly is polyfill, how do you use it, and what exactly is it for? Thanks bacon, and GL with yours as well.

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1065
ok sorry it took so long...

polyfil is like a cotton, but its usually synthetic fibers that act as a damping in the box, you can get it at like walmart for $2 per pound, makes quite the difference when you're after SQL

you place it loosely in the box, meaning like tear it apart kinda and toss it in...it makes the box seem larger than it is, thus letting you use less power for it to reach mechanical limits

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 38
Oh alright, sounds good, thanks a lot for your help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us