Kicker 15" L7 - Boxes - advice!

Bronze Member
Username: Businessboy

Post Number: 38
as some of u know, -i have this sub in a 1.5 cubic foot box. Is it worth building a custom box? I have seen the diagrams on the kicker site. - and want to make a 3 foot ported enclosure.

Will it affect the performance if i design a box differently? I was thinking of using all the bootspace by having a wide box - but not too high - this way i could put stuff on top of the box.

is it worth porting the enclosure, or sealing it? I'm into RnB hiphop etc, and like my low bass - but also want some punch.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 243
if you have what you the tools to build a box, then yes. its well worth trying. if you have a table saw or a skill-saw and some other wood working tools, then i'd say sure...build away!

a sheet of 3/4" MDF is only about $18, a can of caulk is only bout $3, and you can get woodscrews really cheap too. so if you already have to tools, and even if you mess up on a box then your only out about $25.

but if you buy a box (like from an audio shop or something) your looking at ~$60 at least. so it you can build it yourself, then do it.

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 38
doubling the box size and porting it will make a huge difference. if you do things right, you'll notice the bass will be both lower and louder.

just be careful putting loads of power into a large ported box at low frequencies. if you have an infrasonic filter, id recommend using it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
thanks aaron, - i think i may built the 3 foot enclosure to kickers spec. cant go wrong then!

hopefully it'l be louder and lower. (already too loud as it is though!) but want to be greedy - might as well get the most outa tha sub!

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 39
even to kicker's specs, the L7 will operate in free-air below the box's tuning frequency. be careful when unloading the woofer below 25Hz or so.

my advice would be to try a big, sealed box instead - go with kicker's largest recommended volume. it won't be as loud as vented, but you'll be impressed with how deep it can go.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
kickers larget volume is 6 cubic foot!!! that would easily take up the whole boot of my new golf!!!

i'm luking at a 3 foot enclosure -ported. whilst i am tempted about a 4 foot sealed box. -this will be easier to build! (bit worried about the tuning side on the ported box.)

Bronze Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 34
You can change the diminsions of the Kicker recommended box, but you need to try to keep the area of the box and port the same. I think you will notice a huge difference by switching the box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
cheers lucas, will get designing the box today! i printed out the kicker pdf and read that bit last night!

not to sure how to bend the port though! cos i want it facing upwards- the same as the sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
by the way i need a subsonic filter if i want a ported box - um not to sure what they are - think the amp has 1 built in? i have the kicker 850.2 amp.

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 42
i don't know if your amp has one. if it did, there should be a switch to turn it on/off.

a subsonic filter cuts frequencies below a certain point. if you tune the enclosure to say, 25Hz, you don't want anything below that frequency getting to the sub (at least not very much).

Bronze Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 35
I'm not sure how a subsonic filter works or exactly what it does, but I think it helps prevent damage to the subwoofer when in a ported enclosure. wish I knew. I'm pretty sue that kicker amp has one.

Bronze Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 36
Let me know how it sounds please. I am getting 2 15" L7's, but they will be an a 3' cu. box. I may need to try a ported also.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
hi guys, started building the box today - decided to go for a 3.5 foot sealed. this will give me adequate room in the boot - whilst being much easier to construct. i hope theres a big difference to the 1.5 box!!!

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 44
there's gonna be a whole lott'a shakin' goin on!

you should listen to some bass tones and/or take some measurements in the existing box. then, afterwards, you can compare to the response specs of the new box. should be cool to see what happens betweet 10-25Hz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
there is already alot of shakin going on with the 1.5 box! it's not as clear as i'd have liked loud - but things should be different in this larger box - it's actually 4 cubic foot! :-)

should be done 2mrw hopefully -and carpeted soon!

the things gona weight a ton!

Unregistered guest
i have two L7 12's, i had them in a box i got when i bought them that was sealed. i took the time to build my own box for them using the kicker web site specs and i can tell you it at least doubled the sound, if not more. i am in the process of buliding the spl size box that has 3.25 cubic feet vs the 2.75 i have now. i was told that by doing this i will double the loudness of the 2.75 box making for a 4 times greater sound over the sealed box, also i must say that with the 2.75 i have rocked buildings and knocked stuff off walls and shelf's. so with the 3.25 it might be nasty. contact me with any questions

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
so the 2.75 u have is a sealed box? what amp u running them with?

my box is nearly built! can wait to hear it. box actually doesnt fit in my boot!! i have to put it in through the front doors! madness!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us