A guy with $500 and no clue needs some help

Username: Poisonousjuice

Post Number: 1
Here's another newbie thread for everyone. I've been going over the threads of the last month and couldn't find one that quite answered my questions. I have a lil 2000 chevy tracker, would like to get some nice pounding sound for my metal music w/doublebass action going on and also for electronic & hiphop. definately want to 'feel' it but not have my car falling apart.
I have a SONY CDX-MP40 receiver if that matters.
Hoping to spend no more then $500 including subwoofers,amp,box,and pro installation.
Is this possible at that price? if so what type of set up should I go for?
And another important question, has anyone had experience with best buy or circuit city installation? general cost? quality? ripoff? and does anyone know if their warranties cover blowing your subwoofers out?
Any info would be great!

Bronze Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas U.s

Post Number: 21
are you going to buy the subs and amp at a shop or on line. 500 isn't going to get you that much. systems is kind of like drug's once you start you can't stop. It is better to get somthing really nice to start with becus if you get a crapy system the next thing you will want to do is upgrad subs and amp.

Post Number: 2
If I were to buy the equipment online, will places do the installation still? or generally do you have to purchase from them in-store? I honestly have not looked into that part of it.

Username: Opie_har

Post Number: 9
Buy from anywhere, and best Buy will install it for you. But, they charge way too much. Do it yourself, or find a friend or relative that can help you.

Post Number: 3
How much does best buy typically charge? I didn't have much luck asking my buddys if they knew anyone, and I got a best buy & circuit city literally half a mile from my apartment.
I found a bundle deal online for Sony XM-2200GTX 2-channel amplifier w/ 2 Sony XS-L1200B 12" subwoofers for $220. Now I'm sure it's not the best but is it atleast a good bang for my buck? I figure w/box and installation I'd be looking at $400?

Bronze Member

Kopperl, Texas U.s

Post Number: 22
i don't know anybody to put in systems so i took my truck to ultimate electronics and by the tyme bought the wireing compoinant speakers and had the box built it cost me 1100 dollars that's almost the cost of my system. I don't know bout best buy but i'am sure it's the same way.

Bronze Member

Kopperl, Texas U.s

Post Number: 23
Most people down sony like glass but keep in mind he knows the best out of the best. Personally i think sony is a good cheeper brand.

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 204
Do it yourself it will save you LOTS of money; you will also do a better job then CC or BB could probably ever do lol. Sorry to tell you though man 500 bucks will get you no where to special really; plan on spending at least $700.00 with self install. Pretty much ANYTHING retail has a HUGE mark up and you are better off buying the stuff online. Usually the amount you pay for subs/anything in a retail store could get you 2 pairs of the same thing online for the price though so their is your warranty lol. As much as circuit city's installs/service SUCKS I will have to say their warranty is kick @ss; you can beat the crap out of your speakers (put drill holes through the cone, blow them up, etc...) and still bring them back for new ones. Best Buy on the other hand is more strict about their warranties and most the time is not as lenient about user end damage.

I put two 12" Alpine Type Rs in my car ($107.00 each), a MRD-M501 Alpine digital class D mono amp ($270.00), My box "fell off a truck" and I got it for $70.00 (originally $155.00), I used a Rockford amp 4 gauge power kit ($25.00), and a 2.4 Farad Capacitor ($85.00). Total cost was $780.00 after all shipping but these subs I feel are PERFECT for
metal and techno style listening. I listen to mostly Death/Thrash metal and you can feel the kick drumming in your chest and it makes my radar detector bounce and smack against the windshield lol. For good prices/stuff check out www.etronics.com I have purchased items from the online site and from the actual store (Brooklyn NY), good prices and good service was always my experience with them. If you are going to attempt your own install this entire message board is here to help you, don't hold back on any questions you may have.

Username: Impkillin

Post Number: 6
Concerning BestBuy: I just had my w3 put in from there. Its expensive, but right now(at least at the one in seattle) they are refunding up to 150$ install (*mail in rebate thought) Of course this is only gonna be on stuff you buy from them, if that helps.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
wow mine last year was $65, for BB to install, and guess what? before it even left the shop the amp was in protection mode!
then of course they never factor in the seat moving, so my ground and power kept coming loose when I was adjusting Gain, Bass and LPF.
I just had them install my amp,I supplied wiring, so maybe thats why yours are so high.
Id say Buy a wiring Kit from http://www.knukonceptz.com/
cheaper than BB kits and better quality.
I live in MN,

Help2
Unregistered guest
eD NINe 1 and 2 Kv2 (10, 12 or 15)
is 485 bucks shipped.
the NINe series amps are essentially Tsunami Amps,
but a lot cheaper.
Kv2s blew me away the first time I heard them.
(considering I paid 80 bucks for one)
They get mean loud, and mean low.
Knu Koncepts sells high quality amp kits for a good price...
Youre not going to find a much better deal than that.
For the install...look into a local shop
rather than a chain store.
They know a ton more.
Youre going to save a lot of if you do it yourself, and although it may seem
intimidating, its really easy.
Theres a bunch of websites out there
to help you with it all, and theres always
the forums to ask questions.
:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts