2 or 4 channel?

Username: Brooks

Tampa, Fl USA

Post Number: 5
If I'm putting 6.5 comps in, does that mean I need a 4 channel amp for the four individual speakers? It's still just 2 channels running from the HU, right? Also, can I run my rear fills on the HU power? Sorry for the possible "stupidity" of this question, but I've read numerous posts trying to see what amps are recommended for comps and have seen both 2 and 4 channels being suggested.

Bronze Member
Username: Rds11

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 23
ur HU should be using all 4 channels, it is unwise to power all 4 speakers w/ 2 channels. u can stick w/ ur head unit but if ur speakers handle more power and u want more power then I would get a 4-channel amp. I just put up a thread askin if u could use a 2-channel amp to power 4 speakers, so ill wait and c if i get any responses and try 2 keep u updated.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5675
if you have separates up front, that's 2 channels total.
front left and front right.
the midrange and tweeter connect to a crossover module, which is then connected to the amplifier or head unit. each XO/mid/tweeter constitutes one channel

you can run the rear fill from head unit power to reduce the output compared to the fronts.. that's fine, and commonly done.

if you use a 4 channel amp, your rear fill would be on channels 3 and 4. fronts on channels 1 and 2. this would require a head unit with front and rear pre-outs to allow fading from front to back from the head unit.

Username: Brooks

Tampa, Fl USA

Post Number: 7
Thanks, Glass. That's what I thought, but was confused after ready old posts. I know you have experience with CDT and I'm putting in the CL61t's. Neil suggested 90 watts to open them up, do I really need that much? Suggestions around $100?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5679
even 50w x 2 would be plenty to get them to move..
JBL's GTO series amps are pretty affordable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us