Just wondering

Bronze Member
Username: Felixtheshiker

Arkansas City, KS United States

Post Number: 20
I was wondering if 2 Eclipse aluminum 12" subwoofers would "hit" harder than 2 SPLW10's?

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 388
2 12's will move more air then 10's

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5486
not always the case.. if the tens have considerably more excursion and/or power.

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 29
additionally, not all twelves have the same cone area, and neither do all tens. some tens with larger cone surfaces can move more air than some twelves with less.

subs with a "fat" surround may actually move less air with each stroke than a speaker with a narrower surround. in order to make up for their small cone areas, these subs have to make larger xmax to get loud - sort of a catch 22.

also, square cones have about 20% more area than round ones, and flat piston subs have slightly less cone area than those with a deep draw. this is why kicker L7s are very good at making SPL, and flat piston subs, although sounding good, are often very inefficient.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 390
get a triangle sub...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2594
Saying that SPL subs are absolute cheap flea market crap, I'd say Aluminums all the way. They'll hit very hard, they are FAR better built and sound a ton better.

Robbieh
Unregistered guest
I was thinking to get four Sony 12s for my 2 door Tahoe.. i was wondering if 2 dual bandpass boxes would be best for this?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2595
Sony is pretty much the worst car audio equipment you can lay your hands on. I highly recommend against you using their subs and consider getting 2 good 12s or 15s instead of those 4 Sonys. As far as bandpass, it's ok for SPL at centered frequencies, but if you plan to do any sort of music listening, I recommend ported. How much are you willing to spend?

Robbieh
Unregistered guest
well.. i have a friend with two sony 10s in a bandpass box and it beats awesome... im looking to spend about 1k

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2597
You have to ask yourself "compared to what"? I'm just forewarning you, their equipment is extremely poorly built, has a high failure rate, and you can simply get much better equipment for the money. Does that $1k include amplifiers and box? Also, do you have a head unit yet, or need one?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5499
the problem with the solobaric is that to get more surface area by making the sub square, you sacrifice excursion.
they have prety crappy Xmax which defeats the gains from being square, and they still sound like buttkiss.

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 31
glass, please describe exactly what kind of 'butkiss' sounds you've personally heard coming from an L7. i'm not interested in theories on how uneven stress points degrade sound quality, or how these subs supposedly don't take power or aren't well built - just some firsthand, objective evidence you have that an L7 does not perform well in the 10-80Hz range.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5530
they sound lousy at high volume compared to better made round subs. As for experience, 15 years as an installer and pro circuit competitor.
If you have some and like them, that's great.
I won't use them myself. I used to be a dealer for stillwater design, so I have more experience with their products than I care to remember.

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 32
they sound pretty good in my car. maybe i'm not cranking mine loud enough to make the lousy buttkiss sounds.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5567
it's subjective to some degree. depends on what you're used to, what you've heard to compare with, etc.

Don't go hurt your ears just to try making tehm sound bad though :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Felixtheshiker

Arkansas City, KS United States

Post Number: 21
thanks everyone who put in something :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us