How do I 'remote turn on' without a deck?

Username: Heidilux

Post Number: 1
I've had my deck taken so many times, I've given up. I still have the amp hooked up to the speakers. (at least the b**tards couldn't get that!) I'd like to just be able to plug my iPod directly into the amp. I've got the RCA to 1/8" already run. The main power from the car battery is still connected to the amp.

My question is then, what is the easiest, free-est way to deal with the remote power on for the amp. I seem to remember someone having just run the wire over the the fuse box under the steering wheel, and hooking it up under one of the fuses. I'm sure this is technically frowned upon, but would that kind of thing work? Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5299
connect the remote trigger line to a switch at the dash, then to any 12 volt switched ignition line.

You really should consider buying an alarm system or parking somewhere else if this is a recurring problem.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 696
The fuse box has worked for me in the past, till i got a HU. I use on of the IGN or the ACC fuse. That way it is turned on automatically

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 136
Just use the fuse panel, don't choose something critical like IGN, SRS, HCU, etc... For some odd reason if that fuse ever blew and you just happened to not have/find a replacement you wouldn't want to be stranded somewhere. Using the fuse panel you can also throw a switch in the mix just to be able to turn your amp(s) on and off for ha-has. As far as being "frowned upon" mechanics and many people use the fuse box under the seat/dash to power lots of stuff. If there is an empty space unscrew the box and run/attach your own wires and have a new dedicated fuse for w/e you want.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5320
the only real disadvantages to doing this are:
very common means of introducing noise
-no good way to set gain on amp to match input -voltage for an iPod lacking a line-out adapter

SaminSantaCruz
Unregistered guest
An iPod or any other portable music device has an output akin to a small amp. Really not a whole lot o' volts there. take a tester and determin how many volts there are, next go and get a speaker level to line converter with rca in/out ($10) then hook it up with the tester in line and turn up the volume on the iPod or whatever until the ouput voltage matches that of a typical head unit (2.5-6VAC) Simple, cheap, and effective and you should not have any EM noise in this setup.

Unregistered guest
I ran my amp rem wire to a togle switch on my dash then hooked the toggle switch up to the battery witha 2 amp fuse in between, i went to napa to do it for one of my friends amd they sudgested a 10 amp fuse, my friend has blown 2 amps, is it the fuse size?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5568
remote trigger voltage is on the order of 500mV.
a 2A fuse is plenty big enough.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5569
pardon me, 500mA
12 volts
I was eating and not thinking hehe

confused kid
Unregistered guest
thanx for the response but do u think that the 10 amp fuse is what casue my friends amp to blow?

VTCunfusedPerson
Unregistered guest
I just ran my remote turn on to a toggle switch, I have a 10 amp fuse ran in between to my battery and it was working fine and then it just stopped, my amp turns on and off fine but my subs arent getting power, do you think its becuase my fuse was a 10amp and do you think I fried my amp, please reply.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us