Setting the gain w/o damaging the subs

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 247
tomorrows the big day for me..installation =D i just had a quick question about setting the gain. there was a thread that answered this question awhile ago (not the "Explain gain to me" one) but i was unable to locate it. i know that you arent suppose to turn your HU up past half until after 20-40 hours of listening in order to let the subs 'break in' what im wondering is, how do i set the gain then? i thought to set the gain you turn it all the way down, turn the volume on the HU up until distortion then turn it back down til just before, then turn the gain up until distortion then turn it down til just before. will this damage the sub or will only continual playing at high volumes? thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5550
www.bcae1.com has two sections on gain settings.
everything ya need to know.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 249
but will turning the volume/gain up at high levels damage the subs since they wont be broken in yet? should i wait to set the gain until after the break in period? that website is kind of confusing to me..using alot of terms i dont understand and phrases im unfarmiliar with. please put into laymans terms if you could. BTW i have a jBL 600.1 if it makes any difference

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5565
my suggestion then is to set gain at half way up at most for now.
once the subs are broken in, drop by any local installer shop and ask an installer to lend a hand setting the amp gain.
Usually if they're bored they'll do it for free. it only takes a moment or two if you know what to listen for.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us