Breaking sound on tweeter...help

Username: Xtorm

Post Number: 8
here is my case, i got a u-dimension prox 420.4 biamp to my comp with a e-cross, but the tweeter keep giving me breaking sound especially when it plays piano title!(tsh tsh tsh sound when every note of the piano is play, like distortion, it is not very audible when playing normal cd, but obvious on audiophile cd when there is little instrument playing. tis amp is 105wrms x4 at 12v n 150w rms i think at 13.8v.
even tot i run 2 channel only (not bridge) using the orig passive x-over the problem still exist.....all 4 channel tried....

but when i hock it up to a 8 ohm tweter, everything seems fine, even the orig mid is not giving me any problem, 4 ohm also

so faulty amp or too powerfull amp?
need help desperately

another thing, wan to ask abt butler tube driver blue, izit a true tube amp or tube at preamp section only?

how does it sound? thinking of giving up my u-diemnsion

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2589
The Butler tube amps use tubes for the input stage and Sanken output devices. Sanken works similarly to a bipolar transistor, but responds better to heat changes. They're fantastic amps, it performs similarly to a high end home audio all tube amp.

As far as the tweeter issue, it depends on what kind of tweeter you're using and the crossover settings relative to that. The reason that 8 ohm tweeter may work better is that it may be better matched to the crossover, plus the fact that it isn't straining the amp as much. Distortion and clipping is easier to pick up with tweeters, so if you're clipping the amplifier you'll notice it more out of tweeters than the mid. It could be a lot of things honestly, and the amp may be to blame. I'm not familiar with u-dimension amps, so I really can't comment on their performance or potential problems. What kind of components do you have, and what kind of active crossover are you using?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2591
Oh, and also check your amps gain setting. You could be overdriving the input stage.

Username: Xtorm

Post Number: 10
gain minimun.....curently only using blaupunkt velocity, even tried with dynaudio, but same case......i think the amp hav problem loading 4ohm then........

i also tired the orig crossover....

anyway thx jonathan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us