Audiobahn a4004t ,, compatible with alpine type Rs??

Username: Toxicity61284

Post Number: 1
Hello, i currently have an audiobahn a4004t amp powering my two infinity 1030w 10'' subs. I want to replace these subs with alpine 10'' type Rs. My infinity subs keep blowing, because theyre junk. I do not know which model of the type R i need, the 1021D (dual 2ohm), or the 1041D (dual 4ohm). My amp is 4 channel, but bridged into two channels it can pump out 200W rms x 2 at 4 0hms only. I dont know which sub i could use, or if i cant at all.. any one know wut i can do?

yep
Unregistered guest
those infinity subs were not junk....your amp is what is junk.

i bet teh reason you kept blowing subs is because you clipped the amp.

anyways....get the dvc 2ohm subs and wire each one in series, then bridge one side of the amp to one sub, and do the same to the othere side.

oh...i have a question for you, what size fuse does your audiobahn amp have? (in the amp)

Post Number: 2
What do you mean i clipped my amp?,,, i bought it hrand new on ebay.. how is it the amp ,, is it too powerful?? the amp fuses are the ones that came with it, i think 30a ,, not sure...

Bronze Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 28
Hey audiobahn is not a junk. If you want a junk try PA or BOSS.
Anyways when you say your subs were blowing, what do you mean by that? Was it blowing when the amp was at it's maximum volume or was it blowing at mid level? How was the sound quality? Did it sound like clipping or distorted before the speakers blew? If it occured while at a low volume, then it could be related to your amp.

Post Number: 3
Im not really sure when it blew, most likely at higher volumes, cuz i usually crank it, cuz the subs dont pound too much unless i crank it,, i just started noticing that the bass wasnt as loud so i looked in the trunk and only one sub was working... i took it out of the box, checked the connections,, then i hooked it back up, when i did, the sub turned on for a second then died again.... i dont know if maybe that audiobahn just puts out alot more power than stated? or wut....

Username: Bnh142

Post Number: 2
When amps clip, they put out a lot more power than stated, but it is not the full signal so it is pushing out distorted sound. Clipping is not as noticable with subwoofers as with other speakers, but it's still a bad thing. If you keep pushing the amp, you can reach dangerous power levels way beyond the power rating of your amp. I have heard you can triple the rated power in clipping. Thats not good for your subs.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2575
Audiobahns don't really put out any more power than stated, sometimes they're overrated. Not the greatest amps in the world. Clipping occurs when the amp is trying to produce more power than the power supply will allow, causing sticking voltage rails and a square waveform. Brian is right, your power can double or triple when clipping, and clipping also produces some DC voltage. The reason it does damage on speakers and subs is because it forces the speaker to full excursion and holds it there, building up more heat than normal because the voice coil isn't moving as much, thus not cooling as good because the voice coil relies on motion of air to cool itself. If you want something to hit harder, you'll need bigger, better subs, or a ported box for the ones you have, and a higher powered amp to get it there, saying you crank it up very high often is pretty obvious that you need more CLEAN power. I'm willing to be the reason you kept blowing those Infinities is because you fried the coils due to clipping. Your gain likely wasn't set correctly, either.

Post Number: 4
Hmm thats a good point,, so if the amp is clipping then it is junk and i need a new one im assuming??... i had the gain set to just under 3/4 of the way up....because i figured since the amp puts 200x2 rms and the subs take 250rms a piece, 3/4 of 200rms isnt much,,, like 175rms.... so i didnt think that would hurt anything....

Bronze Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 71
Hey Rick, if you're going to pound the subs, you really need a stronger amp. Why not try the class D models? I personally would buy an amp that's higher than the speakers, that way when you turn up the volume, it'll less likely clip/distort. I have Audiobahn A4125HCT 4 channel amp, and believe me it is not a junk. Some people hate or dislike certain brands cause of their low line models. I know Audiobahn makes some cheap ones but then so do lots of companies. You get what you pay for.
If your current amp is not a class D model, then you can use it to power your rear speakers and buy a new amp for the sub.
One more thing, don't get fooled by the cheap ads that say 2000W. First of all it's peak power not rms and those cheap amps clip!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us