L7 good for a daily driver?

Anonymoussss
Unregistered guest
Would some kicker solbaric 15 inch L7`s be ok for a daily driver?

Bronze Member
Username: Sas

Post Number: 66
of corse it will be, but i am sure after a week or so you will kept your bass down, after a while the bass gets anoying, make sure you have good mids and highs or all the bass will go to waist

Silver Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 109
i would recommend 10's,,,, say w6 or w0 for daily use if u just want it for fill-in... if u want spl or harcore bass ,,, u will definately get tired of it.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5454
the S15L7 is ok I suppose, but I really don't like square subs. The Solobarics have a number of design and reliability issues.
If you want good SQ, stick to round subs.

Username: Rds11

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 6
I have looked at Kicker's L7 series. for a daily drive I would probably go with just 1 15" or downgrade the size. Kicker's L7 are intended to lean more towards SPL so if u want SQ then do exactly what glass said and go with the round subs. the square subs just add more cone surface area which pushes more air sapce = SPL

Anonymous

So are these L7's reliable or not?

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 372
i've got 2 12" L5's, and they are still running strong, not a problem with them, i'm just looking to get rid of them because i need my trunk back...350 takes both and shipping charges...

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 211
The l7's are very reliable subs. What glass was triing to say is that they are not made for amazing sound quality. Note the square model of the sub, it creates different pressure points on the sub, it limits the extension etc etc. So if u are a daily driver, and you don't wan't your car to shake every f*ckin time there is a bass hit in your music, well u are better of stickin with round subs. Look at pionner and infinity subs, they are amazing sq subs, they will hit, but not enough to bug you.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5475
yes they don't sound great due to the shape, but the surrounds also have a tendancy to unravel and separate, as do the cones from the motors. they also have a severe issue with tinsel lead slap and separation.
I've seen people go through half a dozen of the subs under warranty exchanges even when properly powered, in a good box.
That makes me very nervous about recommending them to anyone.
Also, due to their shape, they exhibit an atypically shallow Xmax for their size, which means anything you gain in surface area, is lost to shallow excursion, so you get no real net gain.

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 18
i use an 8" L7 and it's a great sub. since it's small, i have to really crank on it to get high SPL levels. so far, after almost a year, zero problems, good sound, one of the best subs i've ever owned. i've used JL and can't say the same. once a L10W1 i used had a spider separation. the replacement i got eventually needed the surround replaced. it was a great sounding sub, but glad it had a warranty.

the L7s have a rubber surround stiched onto the cone. i can't imagine that thing ever coming loose. xmax isn't great, but it isn't too bad either.

BTW, kicker claims that they got two 8" L7s like mine to hit 155dB in a large vented box. they did it by hooking up 1200 watts rms to each coil (total of 1200 watts rms x 4). the 155dB was a one time fluke, but they were consistantly able to get 150dB+. remember, we're talking about 150dB using only two L7 eights! that's just nuts!

i recommend the L7s, at least the older ones. they don't sound bad like people say - and they get plenty loud. i don't know how the newer ones are (although the looks don't impress me).

Soloz
Unregistered guest
i got 2 12" L7's, and they are one of the best, no questions or bullsh*t about it. People can say what they want but L7's are just that damn good, i'd get them if I were you, but if your looking for a SQ sub, than i suggest getting a round sub than

Soloz
Unregistered guest
i got 2 12" L7's, and they are one of the best, no questions or bullsh*t about it. People can say what they want but L7's are just that damn good, i'd get them if I were you, but if your looking for a SQ sub, than i suggest getting a round sub than

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 188
Myself i have a pair of 12 inch l7's and they have neer messed up but i have a freind who has 2 10 inch l7's where the tinsel leads came off of every terminal. The only difference in our setups is i used a mono amp and his was a 2 channell stereo amp. I dont know if that plays a part but mines have been good for the 3 and a hjalf years
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us