Lightning Audio 40 Farad Cap

Bronze Member
Username: Skrilluh

Post Number: 12
Lightning Audio Storm SCC40 - Anyone know anything about this thing? Ive seen many 2 farad caps going for more than this thing and its 40 farad , im just wondering how it would compare against a stinger 5 farad and other good brands. Sounds like its too good to be true to me.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5598
sounds a bit fishy to me.
you only need about 1 farad of capacitance per 1000 watts of *peak* amp power anyway so most people will never need more than 5fd anyway.
remember, caps really serve a different purpose than your alternator, too.. they won't replace the need for a high output alternator in high current systems.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Yeah , I guess I'll do more research before taking a couple hundred dollar gamble. Yeah Ive already got a beefy alternator , I bought this a few yrs back to make sure I had enough power for my winch. This is the first time Ive had a system over 1k watts so i really have no clue what kind of cap to get. I will have 3000 rms , (2) hifonics bx1500d's , so if you have any recommendations dont hesitate to tell me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
So Glass...I already have a nice alternator , I'm still having trouble picking a nice cap , so from your experience , what would you recommend for a 3000w *RMS* system? (at-most 2 caps)

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 114
Why don't you get 3 1.5F capacitors? That'll cover your 3000W with room to spare.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
as I said above , I dont really want over 2 caps if I can help from it , I might get (2) 2.5's , or (1) 5. What kind of brands do you recommend? Keep in consideration , I'm not the richest mofo alive :-)

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 115
If you're looking for 2.5 or 1 5F, it'll cost you! For some reason, they're very expensive compared to 1.5 or 1F. I've seen Rockford 1F cap going for $25. I bought 3 1F caps for $26 plus shipping. There are some good deals, just look for them.
Most of the caps are designed similar so you don't have to be picky unlike the amps.
Couple of months ago I bought VOODOO cap with digital readout. It's been working great. I think I paid $41.
Hope I gave you enough choices.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Well soundstream persueded me to increase my budget :-) After reading and doing some research I found that they have some very nice stuff and not as expensive as I thought , thanks for all your help. I'm going to get (2) 5 farad or (1) 20 Farad by Soundstream.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us