IS IT POSSIBLE?

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 258
I know i posted before about this, but some else tells me that 183 db is possible with one 15 sub in a ported box. He also says that there are subs hitting in the 200's at legal comps.
Is this dude insane or what?
IS 183 POSSIBLE with any set up?

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 71
no its not possible, he's smokin crack.

Silver Member

Post Number: 259
Ok thanks, thats what I thought, this dude is an a$$hole.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2557
NO it is not. There have been SPL competitors who have claimed to hit 180s once in a blue moon, but in no way have they hit it consistently or to prove it at competitions. One 15" sub ported isn't going to do it either. Do all of us a favor and go slap the living sh*t out of that guy, 200s have NEVER EVER EVER EVER been done with any amount of subwoofers and any amount of power pushing them, in any vehicle for that matter. He is a total idiot. It's hard to argue with an ignorant person, so you're just going to have to take him to a shop and have that guy's system metered to shut him up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
he's not the one with the system, but you're right he is an idiot, I want to prove it to him some how.
Jonathan, can you give me a website or something to print out to show this dude to shut him up?
I tried to explain to the other people that I had asked you,(explaining your credability), but they still insist on it.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 422
the loudest sound even possible in theroy is 194 dB i think. so yea if he's telling you people are hitting in the 200's then he's lying.

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
What does a jet engine produce, any jet engine, maybe the ones on the shuttles, can any say what they produce, he says there are jet engines producing like 250 +.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 427
180 dB is the norm i think for like the space shuttle. Airplanes produce around 140 dB at take off

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2559
http://www.slapshow.com/04standings/index.htm
http://www.termpro.com/dbdrag/
Both are widely known SPL competitions, you can see on the top of the db drag racing page that the highest SPL this season was 176.1 db, average db is 140. You can scour those sites for numbers, and let those guys look and see if they can find something in the 180s or even 200s, they won't find it.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2560
Space shuttles produce 180s, but remember that they change the chemical properties of the air when launching, that's the reason they can get so loud.

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
thanks Jonathan and Wahl.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5419
the space shuttle at launch is supposedly 180-200dB, and only due to the fact that the heat generated by the liquid nitrogen fuel source alters the atmosphere in the immediate vicinity.
Otherwise 200dB is physically impossible to obtain within the earth's atmosphere.
I'm an engineer. I probably know a bit mroe about the topic than your friend.
Jon is correct.

Bronze Member
Username: Slap_johnson

Arizona

Post Number: 91
the loudest possible sound ABOVE sea level is around 200 db, 194 db is the loudest recorded as wahl said, read this http://www.soundimage.ishoejby.dk/1000_db%20english.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Sancho886

El Cajon, CA US

Post Number: 31
johnny, you need to kick that guy in the nuts. maybe we will all get lucky and he won't be able to reproduce. consider it your good deed for the day.

Bronze Member
Username: Businessboy

Post Number: 35
how man db would my L7 15" with a kicker 930 rms amp produce - cos it's way louder than i can take! + my car interior!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5434
Slap, I was speaking within context of this forum.. I don't think anyone is going to stick a volcano in their car as a speaker.
:P

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
Thanks, everybody, for the input.
I kinda figured this dude was a complete idiot when he said subs were hitting in the 200's.
I think I might go kick him in the nuts.
What made that loudest sound recorded of 194db?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5455
I believe it was the eruption of an active volcano. Krakatoa or Mt St Helens, I forget which.

It was felt by people for thousands of miles if I recall, and killed something like ten thousand people.

Bronze Member
Username: Slap_johnson

Arizona

Post Number: 93
ya ;), the highest db recorded was actually a nuclear blast, but as u said, around all of that gas being realeased the chemical composition changes creating a completely different atmosphere

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2572
St Helens or a nuclear blast must have been the recorded one, Krakatoa happened in the 1800s. Krakatoa was the biggest one, but there's no way you could guess the SPL as I'd hope noone would want to replicate that disaster.

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
you guys kick a$$.

yep
Unregistered guest
hummm...

bet they didnt use the new termlab when they metered that nuclear bomb...lol

lets get ahold of the military and see if we can test the SPL of one of those blasts w/ a termlab...

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2580
I'd like to see the agenda of that. "Ok, guys, today is the day we test the ICBM. So far, we've determined that if we fire these warheads intelligently we can put the world into a nuclear winter in about half an hour, temperatures exceed tens of millions of degrees, and the wind will carry this combined radiation far enough to effect all of mankind, and with this comes starvation of all people and will destroy civilization. But that's just not enough. It is imperative that in the unlikely case that there are survivors, we want to make an impact on them as well. Thus, we're going to see if we can blow their eardrums out while we're at it." :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 11
you couldn't measure krakatoa's SPL first hand, but it has been estimated to be the loudest sound ever heard on earth - MUCH louder than mt. st helens or even a nuclear blast. this is based on the effects of its sound, and by how far away these effects were detected.

krakatoa's eruption was heard as far away as bangkok & manila, and windows were shattered up to a 1000 mile radius. it was also heard on rodriguez island - 3000 miles away from the source. the pressure wave effected barometers in europe and continued to travel around the earth a total of 7 times.

BTW, the loudest SPLs are created underwater. whales and dolphins can produce sounds up to 190dB, and low frequency active sonar used in submarines can hit 240dB. yep, it's true.

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 73
Dank. Wouldnt that be cool to hear a sound pass around the world and over you seven times? Tho your probably deaf after the first one and wont be able to enjoy the other six times.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us