I need to shut pandora's box. A mix bag of questions.

Username: Fandango

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to get my system all together, (perfect 6.1's, a 10.1 kappa perfect, kicker kx 800.4 and kenwood kdc-x879 head unit). I have a few questions that I need some guidance on. First off, when mounting the crossovers (in or near the trunk) should I put them both on the right side if my power is going on the left. Secondly, the headunit has 4 pairs of preamp outputs: aux, rear, front and sub. I am under the impression that I only use one of them, but which one? I have a few more questions, but I'll let you take on those for now if you want.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5387
crossovers won't matter.
your head unit's AUX is an input. the other three F/R/S are outputs.
the head unit has its own crossover built into it.
if you choose to bypass that and use an external unit, use the front or rear outputs from the ehad unit.
use both if teh input is a 3 way and you want teh ability to fade front to rear

Username: Fandango

Post Number: 2
Are you saying that I don't even need the crossovers that came with the perfects and I need another RCA cable for the sub? I'm sorry if i'm frustrating the hell out of you with my ignorance, I am trying hard to figure this stuff out, but obviously I suck at it.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5391
oh, the component crossovers you mean>?
those you can stuff anywhere.
I thought you meant an external electronic crossover for the amps, like an Audiocontrol 4XS or similar.

If you have an amp for the components and an amp for the subs, you'll want separate RCA lines to each amp from the head unit yes
that allows full control from the ehad unit on things like crossover points and such, bass level, and all that

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5392
I'm trying to figure out your system here.
if the perfects are run off the head unit, just wire the head unit's speaker wires to the crossovers, and XO's to the speakers (mid/tweeter)
run one pair of RCA lines from the sub pre-out to the sub amp.

Username: Wastelandgrows

Post Number: 5
I guess I haven't explained the system very well, I was planning to put the components on channels one and two and then bridge channels three and four for the sub. That would give me 100rms for the components and 400 for the sub. The amp has two pairs of rca jacks, one that says amp1 and one that says amp 2. Do I just plug in the rca cable from the head unit to the amp 1 for the components up front, and then do I have to go get another rca cable and plug it into the amp outputs on the reciever and amp 2 on the amplifier, or is there a way I can just use one rca cable since I only have one. Oh another question I have is; The sub is rated to 350rms and if I bridge chs 3 and 4 I will put 400 to it, will that not harm the sub or is there a way I can turn down the power going to it by 50rms (lowering the gain maybe)? I hope I have made things a bit more lucid for you, thanks for the help so far though. I would be lost without it. You would have been a good teacher or councilor, providing that you aren't/weren't one already.

Username: Wastelandgrows

Post Number: 6
I mean 100 rms each for the components, ecoustics needs to add editing to their bulletin board.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5400
ah I see now.
you need two sets of RCA lines from the head unit.
front and sub
this will allow bass control from the head unit
you can reduce signal level to the sub from the head unit by turning the bass "level" down but in rality it shoudn't be an issue since 400 watts is only at full output, and unless you turn the volume to max, that won't happen anyway, so the sub really gets less power..
remember every time you double the audible volume (+10dB) you increase power by ten times. This should give you an idea of how little power you really use at normal volumes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us