What are your thoughts on the "LOUD" feature

Bronze Member
Username: Rsoares28

Scarborough, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 15
i have the pioneer 7600mp and it has loud :min, mid and max what are everyones thoughts on the loud feature, do any of you use it, i heard it's not good for your speakers... the music certainly sounds alot richer and fuller with it on, what are your thoughts, suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4946
on factory speakers it usually helps some to compensate for the limited frequency response.
all "loud" does is present an inverse bell-curve boosting bass at ~100Hz, and treble at ~10KHz to 12KHz at low volumes.
Once you get to about a third vvolume, the loudness feature no longer adds anything.
The purpose of this is to boost frequencies often lost in factory systems at lower volumes.

the drawback is that this adds coloration to the music, and if you have a high end audio system in the car, you shouldn't need "loud" to begin with.. and using it generally degrades the sound.

loud isn't really bad for the speakers, since it only does anything at low volume anyway.. it just doesn't help anything in better systems.
that's all.

jmb
Unregistered guest
i say the loud feature is good in case you dont want as much bass in a certain area or you want to jump the bass up a notch its not a bad feature it doesent add any more bass to your stereo it just tunes it instead of meassing with your bass controll

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5681
incorrect.
the loud button is essentially a fixed point EQ that adds about +3 to +6dB at about 100Hz, and 15KHz in an inverse bell curve.
It only works at low volumes, and with a mid level or better audio system, it really makes things sound a lot worse, since the boost points aren't in ideal spots for a good system with subs.

with factory speakers and their limited frequency response, 100Hz is a good spot since it isn't below their ability to be heard.

jmb
Unregistered guest
i dont find that itmakes anything sound worse all it does is tune it down or up works just fine for me and to me at high volumes it does add some extra bass to me anyway and a few other people i know

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5750
at high volume, the head unit defeats the loud feture so it really doesn't add anything, but if you think it does, you're welcome to believe that.
on a well designed high end system, the loud button boosts bass at too high a frequency, making the subs sound boomy (~100Hz) by adding too much midbass and boosting where the subs should naturally be rolling off to the midrange drivers ideally.

Again though, if it sounds good to you, that's all that matters in the end. I'm strictly pointing out the objective pros and cons to the feature as asked by Ryan. I know, on a circuit level, how the loudness feature works in headunits, so I shared that knowledge.

jmb
Unregistered guest
i know what your saying all i was getting to is that like to me it sounds good thats all different people different opinions and im not doughting your knowledge i was just letting my fellings known and you are correct i had a stereo with that same feature and at a high level it sounded crapy so i dont doubt it the system i have now is not as powerful as before so i dont doubt it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us