What do you think about the 8122 model 12 inch Eclipse?

DannyTheSubMan
Unregistered guest
I just won two twelve inch 8122 Eclipse on Ebay. I heard they are old but still sound great. Anybody know anything about um?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2518
Absolutely, they are fantastic subs, especially for the price, underrated as well. They work very well in ported enclosures, 2 cu ft net per sub tuned to 32 hz would be great for them.

DannyTheSubMan
Unregistered guest
How do you tune a sub to 32 hz?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2519
You don't tune the sub, you're tuning the enclosure to 32 hz.

DannyTheSubMan
Unregistered guest
How do you do that?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2520
It depends a lot on the enclosure size itself, what you do then is run a port, and the port size and crossarea is what determines the tuning frequency. It takes some calculation, I recommend the calculator here:
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm
It's very accurate. You need to figure the dimensions your trunk can allow, then build the box around that. Each sub you have displaces .10 cu ft. I recommend you build a ported box with a divider in the middle, and a 4" port for each side. If this is all Greek to you, you can call Eclipse and they'll recommend you a box design for both subs.

DannyTheSubMan
Unregistered guest
Thanks Jonathan! So you don't think they will perform bad beacause its older? The guy I'm buying it from says its in great shape and works perfectly fine. He's just selling them cause he needs the money.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2521
As long as you get them from a good user, you're good as gold. If the voice coils are good and everything about the sub is solid, they're just as good as new. Those subs are extremely well built and durable, I doubt they'd be in bad shape unless he abused them.

DannyTheSubMan
Unregistered guest
Awsome!!! Thanks Jonathan!!!

Needyourhelp
Unregistered guest
I also looking at sw8122 dvc 4ohm, is the sub up the par w/ the 12w6v2, idmax, or m6?

Danny, do you have the web site w/ the full spec on the 8122? Been looking around for a while, still have not yet got any luck.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5349
http://www.eclipse-web.com/

DannyTheSubMan
Unregistered guest
I've heard nothing but good things about this speaker. I think its because Eclipse makes great subs. No I haven't found the specs on this one. The ones I am getting are single voice coil and 450 RMS each. I don't know if they are the same as the ones you are looking at. Mine did not have the "SW" before them, like this "SW8122". The description said 8122. I have been told mine was made in 2002. Still, I believe these are going to be great.

Needyourneed
Unregistered guest
Thank for your info Glass, but the eclipse website doesn't have the 8122 spec anywhere, I found piece here and there but not the full spec. Still looking, will post it here if I do find it.

sw8122 is the main model, of the 8100 serials, so your Aluminum would be the sw8122.4SVC(not sure, please correct me if I"m wrong). it's about 250 New? not sure, what kind of deal did you get yours? The one I was looking at is a used one for 200, I'm thinking about getting it, but I can the m6 for about 140(used). not sure how the m6 comparing to the aluminum, but I heard a lot of good things about it.

Anyhow, what amp are you planning to use? What type of box? I'm planning to get a ABC if that's possible, if you have not yet got the box, check it out it's pretty cool.

Well, good luck w/ your sub

p.s drop me an email let me know how your aluminum sounds. sdcyan@yahoo.com

DannyTheSubMan
Unregistered guest
I got a really good deal and payed $150 for my two, plus shipping. Mine came in a box and that killed me with shipping cost, total(272.52). I don't know what kind of box it is. I'll let you know how they sound. I should get them by next Saturday.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5368
take pics. I can tell ya the type of box. :-)
anyway, terrific subs.
Eclipse should have had the info in their archives section, but they probably don't.
E-mail them and ask for TS specs for the model. it'd be the 8122.4, yes.
I don't have any recent Eclipse dealer data or I'd dig it up. Jon may have access to stuff from last year though.

EsclipseAluminumFAN
Unregistered guest
Glass, I'm looking to get fmod, which one should I get?
my box, 2.5 cf ported 31 hz w/ slot seal ports. going to adjust the gain by testmeter. Am I looking for 20hz, 25hz, or 30hz? Thanks

Danny,
You got a GREAT deal on your sub!!
Check out those ABC box or the doubleshot www.powered4sound.com they have video with RE sub and Brahama w/ snailShot

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2523
I found some info I got a while back as far as theile small parameters, this is for the DVC, but the SVC won't be terribly different as far as performance:

Parameter
Fs 27 Hz
Qts 0.30
Vas 3.2 Cu Ft
SPL 89.4 db
VCoil Z 3.1 Re Ohm per coil
Power 500/1000 Watts
Qms 5
Qes 0.32
XMax 1.30" 1 way
Sd 511.0 Sq CM

0.10 Cu Ft Woofer Displacement

Eclipse8122
Unregistered guest
I'm surprise 8122 has a longer xmas than the idmax and the w6v2, bigger surface than the w6v2 but id still holds a edge there. The TS spea is imprissive for the 8122.
Trun or False (assuming it has the same setup or equal)
1. 8122 louder than w6v2?
2. w6v2 sq is better than 8122?
3. IDmax have both advantage over the 8122?
4. The Aluminum cone for the 8122 is very
fragile?

And Thank you Jon.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2541
1) Totally depends on the setup and power applied, but both are very close SPL wise.
2) That's a subjective matter, both are excellent
3) I feel the ID Max is a better sub, but that again is subjective. ID Max has an SPL advantage.
4) No, it's not fragile, it's very rigid.
As far as the Xmax, those are Eclipse specs, but linearly I honestly think it's less than that. It can move that far, but it's more mechanical and suspension related, and not as much within the gap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us