Advice needed by experts (Glasswolf/Jonathan) sub enclosure

Username: Chodecz

Post Number: 5
Thanks guys for all the great advice on this forum, its been a great help!!

I need info on a sub box for an ID MAX 12" V.3. I will be putting 1000W RMS from an Orion XTR2250. I listen to all types of music, with my prefered choice being with a faster beat (trance, dance, etc).

I need to know what will be an optimal box for this sub, slightly more in terms of SPL. I'm only willing to sacrifice a little SQ for SPL, therefore I thought a ported box.

From what i've gathered from other posts I will need a 2cu ft ported box with ports tuned to about 35Hz, using 4" inner diameter ports.

I dont plan to build the box unless i'm left no other choice (no suitable pre-built ones). Therefore could you recommend any pre-built ones, i've looked at Powered4sound (snail) and Big Dog boxes.

Any advice v.appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5393
a slot-ported box for a single 12" would do the trick. I'd probably tune it around 32Hz.
that'd hit very nice and deep.
have ya opened up that 2250 yet? heh they're pretty inside. I have a few pics of one opened up if you're curious.

you'll want the box made of 3/4" MDF with that much power, too.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2524
Personally, I think if you want best SQ and more output, I'd recommend a 2.5 cu ft net tuned to 25 hz, or a 2.25 net tuned to 28. One 4" port would work, if you're willing to sacrifice the space and port length two 4" ports would be good. I highly doubt you'd find a prefab that will be tuned that low honestly.

Post Number: 6
No i havent had the chance to open it up, but the pics look NICE hehehe.

Im a bit confused now, dont know which option to take.

Would it be worth getting a custom box built to either of these specs or would choosing a prefab with specs as close as possible do the job (are the differences big?)?

What do you guys think of Powered4sound or Big Dog??

Thanks.

Post Number: 7
Glasswolf, what cu ft net would you recommend for the box you suggested??

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2526
If you want all around great SQ and SPL to go with it, 32 hz tune will work well, and by the way, a 2.25 cu ft net tuned to 32 would work well. If you want deeper bass with a little better SQ(but not quite as much SPL), go with a lower tune.

Post Number: 8
Does the dimensions of the sub box matter a great deal??

Cos I read somewhere that "When figuring out the shape of your box, keep in mind these "ideal" dimension guidelines: Depth should be 0.7 x Width and Height 1.4 x Width." This meant that i would have a 17"w x 24"h x 12"d box, this I cannot fit in my car! Does it make any difference adjusting the W/H/D dimension sizes to the sound?

I have worked out a 23"w x 17.25"h x 13"d using 3/4" MDF will suit my car. These would mean 2.25358cu ft volume, then I would make two 4" ports (as Jonathan suggested), then tune them (help, info below)!

I cant figure out ports or port tuning. I know you make a 4" hole, but what do you do exactly to 'tune' it and make it fully efficient?? Are there any online tutorials, etc? I relise this may be annoying questions to people with knowledge on these subjects, but im just finding it hard to find info at the moment.

Jonathan, if i do two ports will they have to be tuned as if there was only one? or halfed tuning? etc? Theres the hole, then plastic vent insersions?

Any help, plz, thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us