Help Picking one 12 for Mustang

Username: Imitchely

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I want to put a 12 in my wifes 2000 mustang. This is for a daily driver. I am looking for a good/great Sub/Amp combo that can be used with her factory Mach460 head unit if possible. Also any help with a box that would fit in her tiny little trunk would be helpfull.
Thank You in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5315
an infinity basslink X powered sub would work well with the factory system and take little space.

Post Number: 2
Hi Glasswolf,
Thanks for responding. I have never heard of these before.. Are they loud? After reading a bit more it sounds like a Shiva and a JBL600.1 would be awsome if they would fit and work with the factory head unit.Can you please let me know if the Shiva/Box needed to sound good would fit? Also what type of box? Or would the infinity basslink X powered sub sound as good as the Shiva? Oh and one last thing... Is the JBL600.1Z the same JBL600.1 I keep reading about or does the Z on the end make it different? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 240
Z means it's remanufactured, same thing it has a 1 yr factory warranty on it too so it's a good buy

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 242
Glass;
Maybe you can help me with this also. The local deal when I went to put the system in my mustang, The very first ? he asked me was do I have the Mach 460 sys. in it. I didn't. I asked why, and he said it was because you can't do anything with that system. That if you touch it by trying to add anything or take it away, you render it virtually unusable.

Now I will have to admitt that if this is not true, it won't surprise me any. I have found a few things that he has told me that he was suffering from HUA on.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5335
The shiva and 600.1 would work fine since the JBL has both high and line level inputs.
I'd go ported box.

as for the mach460 system I believe Metra (metra-online.com) has an adapter to give line level outputs for adding an amp.

Post Number: 3
Thanx for all the replies.
What is the smallest CF box I can use? Her Mustang is VERY small. I need a box that is only 11'' height,26''max wide and 35'' max depth. I dont know where I could get this made at a decent price or if it would even sound good. Any help would be appreciated!! Also.. Would I need any kind of filters or anything with a ported box? I read somthing about needing a filter when using a ported box with a jbl600.1 . (its possible I read wrong though). If anyone can tell me where to buy a ported box that would fit her size trunk I would be VERY greatfull..

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5360
just use a sealed enclosure, with an angled front.
that'll be your smallest box type, at around 1.5cu ft, and it won't require a subsonic filter to be added.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 253
I'm sure you have seen the type box Glass is talking about, they carry them at wall-mart. DO NOT buy one of those, but either get one made or buy one like them, made of MDF.

You may also think of going a pair of 10's is a sealed box. I just pulled the 12's out of my wife's mustang and put a pair of 10's in. It gained her a couple more inches of trunk space and IMO they sound better. I don't think they are as loud as the 12's were but SQ wise IMO they sound better.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5370
do they sell those prefab? heh
I just build my own.
Hey that does mean you can drop by walmart and see how they look, though.
well, two tens or one twelve.. the single twelve sealed will take less room than two sealed tens, but not by a whole lot.
sealed tens are about 0.6-1.0cu ft per, and the twelve will be about 1.5cu ft per.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us