$2000 budget for Explorer

Bronze Member
Username: Mattellermets

Danville, IL US

Post Number: 22
hey all! my buddy's parents are going to give him a grand if he pulls an A in calculus... if only mine would do that.. anyway he also has another 1,000 he said he can spend on his system. His truck is a currently all stock mid-90's ford explorer. so this is $2,000 total including alternator, wiring, H/U, components, subwoofers, amps, ect. (leave 100 out for box materials ect). assume self-installation.

what would your opinion on the best complete system be? he listens to rock i believe. So he wants SPL and SQ about 50/50. thanks for your opinions.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5249
could you please not cross-post in every forum with the same post?
thank you

Bronze Member

Danville, IL US

Post Number: 24
Glasswolf: I didn't. I posted the identical question in 3 forums, the forums I considered most applicable... I'm sorry if you deemed this as innappropriate... I thought it was completely understandable. I wanted the opinions of the "speaker" people, the "head unit" people, and the "amplifier" people, because the question concerns every part of the setup. Anyways. I was really hoping for your input, as you usually seem to have the most logical linear approach to the big picture. Anyways, sorry if I didnt use the Ecoustics forum as you saw fitting. Also, I'm not some apologetic wimp or anything... I just respect you as an older, more experienced person in car audio, and I wouldnt want to lose your help. I look forward to talking with you later, and thanks with helping direct me with my own setup.

I think I am going with this for my own for now:
*CDA-9815 $200-300 ebay
*p180.2 $133 sounddomain
*6.5 Perfects, around $200, still looking haha
*a single Shiva in 4.6 vented cubes with the extra amp I had @ 300w,rms $125, adireaudio

and if I decide to spend more $:
*bp1200.1 $200 sounddomain
*1 or 2 more shiva's

Bronze Member

Danville, IL US

Post Number: 25
sorry for that slightly off-subject post. I just find it intresting to read about others' setups.

I was going to suggest to him that he not spend all $2K on a sound system. please dont throw rocks at me for that. :-)

but if he insisted, I would tell him to spend $200 on HO alternator, $300-400 on nice Alpine H/U, $200 for decent 4 channel amp... perhaps the JBL p80.4, $300 for Infinity components up front and 2-ways in rear doors (something like a downscale of what you have)

and, if he is positive that he wants big bass, one or two adire 12" brahma's with a jbl bp1200.1 on each (that should take care of the remaining thousand).... otherwise go 1 brahma, or 2 shivas.

this may seem to mirror my setup, but this is expected, right? since i would recommend for someone else the same things I chose myself (and we are after basically the same things)

Anonymous

well what about:
1 H0 Alternator-300.00

1 15" Adire Brahma-400.00ish(Not Sure on price)will hit in the upper 140's to lower 150's

1 JBL bp1200.1 mono amp-225.00ish

Box Materials-100.00

Instead of alpine go with eclipse for a head unit. 400.00

*since i don't know a lot about components you could ask someone else.*

this will leave you about 600 dollars to spend on components and a nice amp for them

Bronze Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 57
i think that setup that anon would be awesome

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 229
that brahma will take a long time to get if they are still on backorder, tripleX 15" or something else in the similar order of subs would be good also

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5307
posting identical messages in multiple forums *is* cross0posting :-)
Ya only need to ask once.. it'll get answered by folks. This forum is the busiest by far though, followed to amplifiers.
There's no general forum though so your question doesn't really have one good area to post in.
That does make it hard to know where to put it.

anyway your idea looks good. that should sound very nice, although that Shiva if it's the 12" shouldn't need 4.6^3ft for a box. It should work fine in about 2 to 2.5cu ft

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5308
oh, and if ya want an alternative to the Perfect 6.1 set, look at the CDT Classic CL-61 or CL-61A separates.

Bronze Member

Danville, IL US

Post Number: 27
hey guys thanks for the thoughts. they are helpful.. about a 15" though... if I am not mistaken... (i havent ever heard a 15" and 12" of the same type compete) won't a 15" gain in SPL but suffer in SQ, specifically with a slower response... like make multiple very quick drumbeats ect sound like one long boOom?

glass.. yep, i guess i am caught *sorry*. i was just saying that I didnt post in EVERY forum. just 3. :-) anyway, a shiva won't benefit much from an almost doubled box size (2.5-4.6) ? that is suprising. pleasing, but suprising... peace

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1009
going with the larger box would require less power and would probably yeild better sq and better low bass extension in my opinion
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us