8 Ohm sub and cheap Xplod amp...

Unregistered guest
Basically, here's the scenario:
I have a Sony Xplod XM-1502SX lying around.
I just spent $25 on a RF Punch 15" sub from a friend.
I'd like to put something in my g/f's car. (I'm sick of her taking my Stealth because of my car stereo. I'd like her to have a decent-sounding car audio system, but I'm also trying to open a restaurant and don't have loads of $ to throw around)
The sub is listed as 8 ohms on the magnet. Everywhere I've seen it online lists it as 8/4 Ohm. My ?s are:

Is there a way to wire it to make it 4 Ohm with a 2/1 channel amp?
What kind of power output am I looking at if it's only at an 8 ohm impedance? I know that 2 ohms basically allows the amp to double the output of a 4 ohm load... Will an 8 ohm load likewise only allow half the power of a 4 ohm impedance? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

What is rms watt on your sub?? What is your Rms watts on amp? Is your sub double voice coil or single voice coil?

Unregistered guest
I'm not sure of the RMS rating on the sub. I haven't been able to find it online, and it's not on the magnet. The amp is rated at 380X1 @ 4ohms bridged. The sub is SVC. In a related question, why do speakers have 2 sets of terminals connected together? 2 positive, 2 negative, but not seperated as in a DVC...

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 843
a: forget that sony amp.
sony is crap, but more importantly, its not big enough.
yes at 8 Ohms you get half the power of 4 Ohms.
what you want to do is find a decent 2 channel amplifier, and bridge it.
you'll bet an 8 Ohm load, the amp will see a 4 Ohm load, and that's the best you'll do.
best bet is to use one 2 Ohm sub or two 4 Ohm subs, and a monoblock sub amp.
JBL has great, affordable sub amps.
300W x 1 @ 2 Ohms is about $160
600W x 1 @ 2 Ohms is $210
then look at lower priced subs like the Kicker Comp subs or similar well made, cheaper subs.

no good way to use any single 8 Ohm sub in a car

Username: Deviate

Post Number: 1
Buying new equiptment is not really an option right now. I'm on an incredibly tight budget and barely swung the $25 for the 15". As I said, I'm trying to open a restaurant and I'm not independently wealthy. I was just curious as to if it would work, not if it would sound great. Kind of a temporary set-up until I get some income to toss around. Thanks for the input, but I can't budget the $ for new components.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 847
if you're that poor, just let her keep driving your other car then.

sell the sony amp and buy food or something with the money.
it'd be a better use of the resources :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us