Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 972
nice all you need now is a ho alternator to give you the current for those amps

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 234
yes i second that, lights dimming is bad trust me :D Nice set up!

Bronze Member
Username: Comet345

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 87
really, my friend has 3 jl 12's and a zapco competition 1000 or 1100 watt amp.... he doesnt have a ho alternator... i could be wrong .. but if so, what do you think the amount of time should be before i get a ho alternator ?

also, what is the grace period for the subs to "break-in" .. i see this used often in here, so i was wondering.. how long should i wait before playing the music loud ... i've seen 2 weeks on here ... is that a guesstimate ? or a reasonable estimate?

also, if lights are dimming... why is that necessarily a bad thing?

i have a 2002 chevy silverado truck...

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 179
I would tell you more than two weeks. I'm talking about 4-5 weeks. But trust me, it will be worth it, if u don't wan't to replace your subs in the near futur. U have to let the subs play cos they have some glue to burn off, their voice coils have to strech... So i'm telling you, keep the volume nob down for the time being, then after 4 weeks, you should be set to bump the living sh!t out of yourself.
For the dimming lights, well imagine your driving in the night with your sound system on, and your lights dim each time your subs hit. It's quite dangerous, not to mention that if u pass a cop with some dimming lights, he will pull you over.
So u can install it, if your light do dim, best thing to do is to get a new alt.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 987
look at it this way too. The more voltage you have the more power you are getting from your amps. Amps x volts sustanined equalls power output (minus efficiency loss of the amp of course)

Bronze Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 88
i called into a place for my stuff to get installed next week... they said the wiring kit they would use is 150 bucks...

4 gauge wire
distribution block
fuse holder
rca cables ....

and a few other stuff ( i think ) ...

I was thinking about buying the stuff from knukonceptz.com .... what exactly is it that i would need .. and how long or what types, etc ? .. im not too familiar on this subject, however spending over a month in these forums I have become more knowledgeable in other areas....

any recommendations so I can save a 100 bucks or so ?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5229

http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html

Bronze Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 89
yeah, i already saw that... but i am going to go a little bit w/o a ho alternator ... but i was wondering ... about the wiring and stuff ... with my setup, what would i need ... i know a 4 guage amp kit, but what else is needed ?

Bronze Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 90
anyone

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2503
Aside from 4 guage and the necessary speaker wire, nothing else is needed. An HO alternator is likely needed, but you should try the system out and see if you encounter any problems first. As far as sub break in, it's not about the weeks, but the hours. Just pointing that out as a lot of people only drive a couple of minutes a day. 20-40 hours is usually recommended (varies with the manufacturer). Personally, I err on the safe side and do at least a 40 hour break in, keeping the subs below half volume with the gain set PROPERLY.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 226
sorry to but in, but maybe it will help alex as well. when you are setting the gain dont you have to turn the gain down..turn the volume on HU up until distortion..then turn it down to just b4. then mess with the gain until you hear distortion, then turn it down to just b4. does this damage the sub since your going to be turning it up pretty loud right from the start? or does it only damage if you continuously bump your subs loud w/o the break in process?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2505
The best way to set the gain would be with an oscilloscope or voltmeter as described on www.bcae1.com but if you don't have that equipment, you'd optimally keep the gain down for a while and set it once the subs have broken in for a while.

Bronze Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 92
what is the distribution block, rca cables, and fuse holder/fuse for? After reading some of the forum responses in this and other sections, I thought I needed them ... especially the fuse and such .. ? But about the hours thing, that seems logical ... Im going to stick to that ... thanks for that tidbit of advice ... but like you said the break in period means keeping the volume at below half ? I thought it was like, on a scale of 1-30 bars, you should use only 5-10 (well, 10 is almost half :] ) or so..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us