Do I really NEED a sub? 18 Hz versus 50 Hz?

edster922
Unregistered guest
...considering how small the cabin space is in my extended cab truck, and the fact that I never listen to bass-dominated music like rap or techno. My Polk component speakers go down to 50Hz, and that's where I have the high-pass filter set on my head unit.

The sub I've bought---haven't gotten the amp(s) yet---goes all the way down to 18Hz. When I look at the extra cost of doing a second amp just for the sub plus paying to have two amps installed instead of just one, plus the sub box, I'm tempted right now to just resell the sub on eBay and go with a single 2x85 or 2x100w amp for the front speakers only. Also don't have a whole lot of space behind the front seats.

What do you think? For my musical tastes (rock, classical, jazz) do I really need that extra low range between 18 and 50 Hz? Or will quadrupling the RMS on my front speakers be enough?

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 850
50Hz at minus how many dB though?
the roll off on those mids is going to be horrible at 50Hz. I'd guess you'll be at least 12dB down.
Yes you want something for subs, and you want to cross those mids over at about 100Hz, and the sub at about 80Hz.
what you can do for cost and space is get a self-amplified SAS bazooka bass tube. a 6" or 8" tube will drop right behind the bench, and cost ya about $150 on eBay brand new.
you run an 8AWG line to the sub, ground it where you mount it, use remote trigger from the radio, and RCA lines from your head unit's sub outs.
when you need extra space, you pull one glug on the tube and take it out then turn off subs at the head unit.
easily done.
simple, cheap solution for low fill without going overboard.
that'd be an ideal solution for your setup.

edster922
Unregistered guest
GW,

thanks that's a really intriguing option, I'm looking into it right now. My only hesitation is, these Bazooka powered subs all have paper cones. Or does that not make much difference?

Post Number: 864
traeted paper cones are more efficient, as they have less mass than poly cones.
The trade off is slightly higher Fs, but not an issue in a vented enclosure, which you'd have.
As for durability it's not an issue. The tubes have a steel mesh grille over the driver, so you won't damage teh sub. I have an amplified 8" version I used in my Jeep for a while as a temporary fix while I work on various box designs and such, and even in a grand cherokee, that single 8" does very well. It gives the system a nice flat response far below where the components roll off. Not what you'd call earth shaking, but you feel it.
As for paper cones though, my Cerwin Vega 12"ubs I used in both the 88 festiva, and the 94 grand cherokee were made in 1989, they have treated paper cones and foam surrounds, both of which people complain about for misinformed reasons, and those subs still work fine to this day, and hit very hard and very accurately.
Those subs won me quite a few competitions in IASCA.

edster922
Unregistered guest
GW,

what about positioning of the sub? If I put stuff all around and on top of it, will that really mess up the sound?

Post Number: 890
the tube needs to be corner loaded for best results, so the speaker shouuld be about 6" to 9" from the side panel of the cab, without anything between the sub and the panel.
throw anything you like on top of it, or behind it though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us