Glass can you answer this strange problem

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 415
My friend has been having an alternator problem lately. He '99 Chevy Lumina that we installed a 2 channel Kicker KX 250.2 amp powering 2 12" Kicker Comp subwoofers. He has a panasonic head unit. The problem lately is that his alternator has been going to sh*t after only having th system or a few weeks. He has already replaced it once and now the second one is going bad. We was listening to some heavy bass music in the car the other day and i poped he reciever faceplate off and the alternator whine stopped. When I put it back on the whine came back. The music was turned up and playing loudly the whole time and i do no understand why this would mak a difference. Maybe interference? I have no idea. I thought I'd ask you since you have been in the bussiness for a long time. Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5088
whine?
is it a loose alternator belt?
where is this whine coming from?
if it comes from the speakers, it's probably a bad groudn somewhere.

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 416
The whine comes from the alternator it sounds like. When he revs up his motar you can her the alternator through the speakers. When he removed the face plate from his reciever it stops. The ground is fine on both the reciever and amp.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5093
ok it's alternator-whine.
this changes pitch with pressing the gas?

that's a bad ground somewhere in the system causing that, or he's run his power lines and signal lines for the amplifier(s) side by side.

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 417
We ran the power and remote wires on the left side of the car and the rca's on the right. Yes it changes pitch when the gas is pressed. We chcked ground cables for both the reciver and the amp. I'm pretty knowledgable about car stereos but this one has me stumped.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5103
could be a bad component then, with a bad ground internally.
bad head unit or amp..
seen that happen, too.
also seen it caused by amplifier gain being set too high.

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 418
Gains are set where they're supossed to be. He's gonna go take his reciever back to Car Stereo One and see if a new one will fix the problem.
Thanks for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us