Amps for 2 RE?

Bronze Member
Username: Stanleyc

Post Number: 63
I couldn't find the amp that you mentioned Glasswolf. I was wondering if the Orion 1200D amp was any good (relative to zapco amps) and whether there are other amps out there that can handle at least 1kw at 1ohm. Just out of curiosity, what would happen if I hooked up 2 re subs in parallel to a zapco c2k 6.0x amp? Would it cause the amp to overheat or somethin like that?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4960
actually it really depends on load and budget.
Kicker and JBL have 1 ohm stable amps putting out 1200-1500 watts RMS..RE makes that sub in dual 2 and dual 4 ohm coils.. the dual 4 ohm are special order though

the 2250SX or XTR2250 is hard to find even on ebay.
the newer Orion amps (directed) are decent amps.. I just don't think they're of the quality the old stuff was.. that's all.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2414
The Eclipse DA7232 is a great subwoofer amp if you get the dual 4 ohm or dual 1 versions, 1000WRMS x 2 with a 2 ohm load on each channel. Solid amp, I wouldn't quite say Zapco quality, but I feel it's better than the Orion. Eclipse makes excellent amps, build quality and material quality is top notch. Not a huge footprint in the vehicle, either.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Would getting the 4ohm version be any different than getting the regular version? Difference in sound quality, frequency response, rms, etc.?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Also how much is the DA7232 amp?

There really needs to be an edit button on this forum. =)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2422
Not from the sub's standpoint. Getting the sub impedance is all about matching it to the amp you plan to power it with. Different impedances tend to alter the resonance frequency a little and possibly Qes, but not for the worse. It's more of an issue of matching impedance and also what impedance you want to run. What kind of REs did you want, 2 X.X.X.'s? I recommended that Eclipse amp assuming you planned to get X.X.X.'s.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Yea, I was lookin at the X.X.X 10 or 12. Can't fit anything bigger since my trunk space is rather limited.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2438
Just one, or two? If two, that Eclipse amp will run them well, and you can get it on www.woofersetc.com for $1200, not bad for 2000W RMS. If you want just one, a JBL 1200.1 would be a cheap option, Zapco reference 1100.1 would work well with a dual 1 or dual 4 ohm version, also JL 1000/1 would work very well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
I just took a look at the Cadence amplifiers since they were rated "Good" on Glasswolfs list of parts. How well would the ZRS-8 or ZRS-9 amps work with the X.X.X subs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
I was thinking of 2 subs thus requiring the 1ohm option unless I go with the 4 ohm coils.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2440
They will work well if it's enough power at 1 ohm, they'll need around 1kw each. As long as the amp put out 1kw per sub, you'll be good to go.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4976
ya get what ya pay for.
dence is on par with jbl, kicker, mtx, RF, etc.

eclipse is going to be closer to the level of JL, zapco, and better amplifier lines like those.
granted, you pay for that difference, but that's life.
nothing good comes cheap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us