Wheres the best place to put an amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Djzavala

Whittier, Ca USA

Post Number: 12
I heard that if you put it vertically (like sideways) that it cools down better, is that true? Is that the reason why people put them on the box? rookie question, but at least its from a rookie, thanks for any feedback

Silver Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 145
U dont wanna put an amp on the box least i've herd said....u wanna have the amp atleast in the car..lol i'm just being a smart @SS but i've herd bout that vertically deal to..

Bronze Member

Whittier, Ca USA

Post Number: 14
hahaha...so where is the best place to put it? on the seat? and why is it not a good idea to put it on the box?

Bronze Member
Username: Stanleyc

Post Number: 64
Because the vibrations from the sub will screw up the internals of the amp.

Bronze Member

Whittier, Ca USA

Post Number: 16
ahhhh...it all makes sense...thanks

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 676
Well, it all depends on the car too. A amp might have good cooling when it is on the floor, lets say because there is alot of air flow. You want a place that will get pretty good air flow when mounting it horizontaly. Usually if your mounting in in a place with not good air flow it is mounted vertical.

Mounting a amp to a box is no good. For a couple of reasons. The main reason being that when you mount it to the box there is alot of vibration. After a while the amps wiring and small componets inside (which are soder'd) may break loose causing much damage to the amp, especally when its on. Now if you have a car that when you start piecing the system together and you find that your space is very limited, and you have to mount the amp to the box then here are some tips.
Mount it on an extra piece of wood. So basically you've doulbed up. Also cross brace your box extra. Position the braces in a way that will surround the amps mounting position. Because subwoofer boxes flex, you will need to have this bracing around the amp. You may want to mount your amp toward a corner of the box, because the middle is usually the weakest point. The other reason is IF somebody wanted to steal your system all they got to do is snip the wires and they got your box, sub, amp and crossover if you have one.

You probably dont want to put it on a seat, because people sit there. And under a seat is probably no good because it provides minimul cooling. But if your amp is very small (ie: a 150RMS component speaker amp) then you will be ok.

Bottom line, every car is different so there is different areas that are good (ie: Ford explorer comes to mind, bench seats that have plenty of room for mounting a amp underneath with proper cooling) Just make sure that where ever you mount the amp that it is in a position where it has its own space. Not somewhere that stuff is going to be thrown on top of it. Somewhere, where air can pass (cause amps get hot). Also somewhere that you can easly get to it to adjust wires and knobs. And finally somewhere that you can actually mount it, make sure it is screwed down.

Bronze Member

Whittier, Ca USA

Post Number: 22
thanks a lot Pat, i now have an idea of what im gonna do

Bronze Member
Username: Jarryd2018

Post Number: 61
where would be a good place to mount an amp in a ford mustang

Silver Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 151
u got much room under the seats?????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
absolutely none at all the seats have a panel that runs to the floor

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 678
well then under the seats is not good, how bout you trunk? I am un-farmiliar with the ford mustangs layout. I only new about the explorer because my friends uncle had one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
most of the trunk will be filled with my box for my subs its a really small car

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 681
Well see what suits it best.

Unregistered guest
Build an amp rack, they look awesome with some mods (cold cathodes, plexy glass, cooling fans) and keep your amp the most cool if built right.

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 682
Yeah, Usually in a enclosed trunk space, with the subs hitting, there is a lot of air moving around.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
heres an idea IF you have a ported box, Use it to cool your amp :-) but depends if you really want to face that port to the back of your seats...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us