Jonathan & Glasswolf - Fane Colosus 18" Subwoofer in a car setup - Would It Be a nice SQ SUB ?

Silver Member
Username: Maxkilla

Malta

Post Number: 118
I would want to know how will this sub perform in my car ... I have a Honda Civic 1991 and i would want to know if it will have nice SQ as the sub goes down till 21hz... I would tune it at 28hz but will i go for ported or sealed ?Upload

Silver Member

Malta

Post Number: 119
Upload
Upload

These are some more information about the sub

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
anyone else notice 400w for a rating? 18's for SPL not SQ and with 400w you wont get that much SPL, my opinion

Silver Member

Malta

Post Number: 120
This is a studio professional speaker which was designed for ultra low frequencies....25hz is low i guess... it has a 1500 watts peak if i remember well.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 161
my main concern would be the 8 ohm rating, i can build a number of boxes that would give it a good sound, it seems to be a fairly accurate woofer however it will need a large encloser and amp. this sub would sound best in a small p.a. system or bass guitar rig, not your car.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 222
i have to agree zac. Maybe if he bought a pair to get them down to 4 ohms he'd be alright. but it as a single sound best in my son's bass amp. Or maybe a surround sound system.

Silver Member

Malta

Post Number: 121
So ppl do you think that this sub will not be so good for the car ? Will it pound ? I tested it with free air on my car amp and it works fine... Its accurate with the bass notes and the excursine was reached aswell.. Any other sugesstions for this sub ? Is it a good sub ?

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 140
U see, any subs over 15'' weren't exactly made for playing well, only for showing off. I've heard a 24'' once in my life, wasn't the best thing i've heard. I unfortunately couldn't tell you any more...

Silver Member

Malta

Post Number: 122
So i guess its not worth the try ? I must just sell this sub... or must i create a siutable box and try it ?

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 144
If u already bought it, then try it out. Who knows, i might be wrong....

Silver Member

Malta

Post Number: 123
I just got it for free from a proffessional studio. http://www.fane-acoustics.com - these people make professional speakers. But not for Car Audio...

Silver Member

Malta

Post Number: 124
Anybody knows how to read these type of tables ? Any pros out there ? What do these tables tell you about the performance of this sub ??? is it good or its bull**** ?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 562
I dunno. It has a higher resonant frequency than a 10w3 so I'm not to sure how low its going to play. I wouldn't tune it below its fs(30 Hz) regardless.

Being 8 ohms is also going to be a problem as mentioned above. Your going to need a BIG amp capable of producing 400 watts @ 4 ohm stereo(8 ohm bridged) to get 400 watts to the thing. For example a JBL BP1200.1 only produces 300 watts at 8 ohms.

To me it reminds me of the drivers you see hanging from the ceiling of an auditorium. 18" means better efficiency to break concert goers' eardrums, not low bass in this case I think.

Download winISD and plug in those numbers. You may need a HUGE enclosure to get the kind of low end response you're lookin for.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 563
[edit] Take that back. It has a fs of 34.5 Hz. Don't tune below that.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 564
Nevermind I plugged em in for you. This is what the gain curve(s) look like.

http://home.comcast.net/~guppyrig/wsb/media/322068/site1060.JPG

The green plot is the "optimal" alignment that winISD recommends(5 ft^3 @ 38.75 Hz), the light blue is the 10w3's I have in my Explorer, and the yellow is me tryin to make that 18 sound "better"(5 ft^3 @ 42 Hz).

As you can see that monster doesn't play very low, relatively at least. You can get a lil better low end by making the box bigger(like 8 ft^3), but I figured, well ......... Honda Civic.

This doesn't mean you can't make that thing sound good. You're gonna get a bit more low end response from cabin gain than what's indicated in those plots, just not that uber low, I can't breath, kinda stuff.

But hey. Its an 18! Thats impressive in and of itself.

:-)

-Fishy

[note] you can always "hide" a couple 10w3's somewhere under that box. Hell you could even convert the Colossus to a "drone cone" and use it as a passive radiator. Most peeps wouldn't know the difference.

;)

Silver Member

Malta

Post Number: 125
:-) Hehe thanks fishy so i guess its not worth the hassle but its worth a test :-)

Hopefully i'll be making a box for it... If i do a 2cu.ft box would it sound good or must i do a 5 cu.ft box for it to pound?? BTW that sub seems right good for HIP HOP... :-)

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 581
2 ft^3 is awful small for an 18.

With that setup you'd basically have a midbass driver from hell. Your lookin at about a 50Hz down 3dB point. Not too sporty for a SUBwoofer, well a ported one at least.

I'd look into other options.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us