I dont really know what i need

Bronze Member
Username: Jarryd2018

Post Number: 53
my sisters friends car got broken into and a lot of stuff got stolen out of his car and this made me decide its time for me to get an alarm system and i was wondering if anybody knew wat would be the best system to get under 300
i want it to have a remote start and have the lcd thing that tells you when ur alarm is going off

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
i saw a clifford alarm system on ebay for 130 something and ive been seeing that people say clifford is good
i think it was called a matrix 3.5 or something like that i cant remember

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 107
Clifford is an excelent alarm. Life time waranty, excelent remote range, all kinds of programing options, and very few false alarms. However, you will not get one with everything you want under 300. I would save up a little extra and look into the matrix 3.5 like jerry said. I promise you will be happy with it in the end.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 108
One more thing. I sugest you have a clifford dealer install it. Thats the only way you will get to take advantage of the life time warranty.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
i found that 3.5 one on ebay for around 130 and i dont kno where to take it to get it installed because theres not a clifford dealer in town

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4726
if you want a good alarm for under $300, look at Compustar, but installed it's going to be closer to about $800.
I highly do NOT recommend you try installing an alarm system or remote starter on a car if you're not trained to do it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
does it really cost that much to have it installed because i dont have anything like that i thought i could buy one for 200 somethin and have it installed for like 100

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4741
installation done right is a LOT of work.
it usually involves disassembling most of the interior of the car, and occasionally some of the exterior as well.
Then putting it all back together so you never know it was done.
I remember some cars like the old honda CRX I used to have to pull off the driver's front tire and then take out teh inner fender well to mount a siren due to how tightly the motor is packed into the car.
Then ya pull apart the dash to mount the brain OVER the steering column, behind the glovebox, or somewhere like that where you can't ever reach it from under the dash to cut wires.
then you need to wire teh brain to a number of things..
parking lights
horn
starter
fuel pump relay
head lights
dome light/door pins
hood pin
shock sensor
glass mic if used
motion sensor if used
power windows and locks if used
the siren
etc etc etc...
and all of that requires looming, tape, and other methods of hiding all of your work so none of it looks like it doesn't belong where it is.
anything you can tell by looking is something a thief can spot and cut to disable the alarm system quickly.

trust me.. alarm systems are an art to install.
far more work than an average stereo system.
well worth the cost of labor you pay a professional to do it.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 112
I have to agree with glass. They are alot of work, and thats one of the reasons I sugest dealers to install them. Hell I work on the computer and wiring systems on the F16 day after day, and I stil hate doing alarms.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4779
woohoo USAF
both my folks were AF. :-)

anyway another thing to note is that most good alarm makers will only warranty an alarm if its installed by a dealer.
this means if you want any protection legally or civilly as well, you'll want it done right, by a dealer.
Alpine, Directed, Clarion/Ungo, CompuStar, and others all share this policy, and are pretty strict about it to the point most won't even release the wiring color codes for their brains to customers.
Only people who know the color codes are teh installers with the manuals from the mfgrs.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 129
Thanks glass, So what did they do in the air force?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4828
dad was an O-6, air weather service
mom was an O-3, RN

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 131
I see, that explains alot about you. ;-) I am working the mission operations center as a special duty. So I deal with lots and lots of captains and full birds day after day. Man I could tell you some stories. Military intel at its best.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us