Whats Beter 2 12's and 2 15s or 1 15 sub

Anonymousss
Unregistered guest
I have lots of room in my car so i was thinking about giting 2 12s and 2 15s and put them in a sealed box. each sub will be geting 300 watts RMS for a total of 1200watts or should a get a 15 that can handle 1200 watts.I want a LOT of bass but i also want it to sound GREAT.Thanks for any help.

Anonymousss
Unregistered guest
any1 no???? or would they be about the same????

Anonymous

2 15's no doubt.

Anonymousss
Unregistered guest
no the 2 12s at 300Rms each AND 2 15s at 300rms each or would it be beter to get one large 15 that can handle 1200 watts RMS.

Anonymousss
Unregistered guest
no the 2 12s at 300Rms each AND 2 15s at 300rms each or would it be beter to get one large 15 that can handle 1200 watts RMS.

Username: Bassfan

Finland

Post Number: 3
3 15s and 2 10s

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2274
If you want SPL, the 2 12s and 2 15s would hit harder. Huge surface area advantage. For SQ, one good 15" would do better. Personally, I think you should do 3 15s and drop the 12s, or 4 15s if you're an SPL guy.

Anonymousss
Unregistered guest
I Want a lot of SPL but i also want good SQ.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2284
What's a "lot"? There are single 15s out there that can hit pretty close to 150 db, two 15s could do that more easily. Personally, I think you should put effort more into the enclosure than buying a lot of speakers, say a ported design, and two better subs. I'm saying that b/c I'm guessing you planned sealed boxes for the 2 12s and 2 15s, not a lot of space for 4 ported subs in most vehicles. You could do 2 great 15s ported and absolutely kill those 4 subs in SQ and SPL.

Unregistered guest
I am preparing to purchase a sub/amp solution for my 2002 Avalanche and would like to ask two clarifying questions:

What characteristics of SPL do folks find desirable? Is it part of the bass SQ, or just about pride of decibels attained?

SQ is my primary concern (I'm an old geezer - 42)who wants to jam to classic rock bands, and want tight, powerful bass that is part of the sound stage. I could care less about SPL just for SPL's sake - unless it is actually an aspect of SQ. I intend NOT to have my neighbors here me coming a 1/2 mile away.

What say you gents?

Unregistered guest
I am preparing to purchase a sub/amp solution for my 2002 Avalanche and would like to ask two clarifying questions:

What characteristics of SPL do folks find desirable? Is it part of the bass SQ, or just about pride of decibels attained?

SQ is my primary concern (I'm an old geezer - 42) who wants to jam to classic rock bands, and want tight, powerful bass that is part of the sound stage. I could care less about SPL just for SPL's sake - unless it is actually an aspect of SQ. I intend NOT to have my neighbors here me coming a 1/2 mile away.

What say you gents?

Mike likes bass
Unregistered guest
sorry for the newbie double posting mistake

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 133
lol
If u do not intend to wake the f@ck up of your entire neighbourhood, i wouldn't buy 4 15' lol.
4 15', your talking about hitting at least two on the richter scale lol. If u have a lot of space, and wan't good SQ, imo, buy 1 Cerwin Vega 15'' . The sub has great sq, and will rock your wolrd if u wan't it too. I've heard that ppl can hit 150 dbs with the sub, in the right setup, enough too give a heart attack too an old gueaser( so what out :P ). Tell me where u live, i can find one on ebay for you. Also, tell me if u have the amplifier or not, i'll help out for that too
Hope i helped out :-)

Mike likes bass
Unregistered guest
I buy from eBay frequently (bought my Infinity 65.3's and my Pioneer Premier P960MP from there).

I intend to convert the midgate of my Avalanche into a sub enclosure. Ported or sealed? I dunno - there is space for either.

I only care about SQ. I listened to a JL Audio 10Wo at a local delar and thought it sounded fine. However, I have an Infinity sub in my home and it punches like nobody's business while delivering excellent SQ.

I am inclined to take your suggestion of a large Sub, and plan to push it with it's own dedicated amp.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 123
I would honestly sugest one or two good 12s for your setup. Twelves are very well balanced for rock and clasic rock. 15s IMO are better for rap and so one. I listen to rap, techno, and rock, so I have had 12s in all of my personal installs. I would check out the boston acoustic G5 12s, or JL 12W6v2. Both work well in sealed enclosures, and give excelent sound quality. I had one boston Pro 12 in my last install, and had no problem pissing off the neighbors when I wanted to.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 125
One more thing. Be sure to sound deadon the midgate before you build your enclosure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us