Underpowering

Bronze Member
Username: Document_c

NY

Post Number: 28
Hey guys...one quick Q:

I bought Focal 165ca coaxil speakers to help with my rear fill. I know for the purest SQ set-up rear fill isn't recommended but I drive a lot of people in my back seats and I got an amazing deal on these speakers so i went for it.

Anyways, they are rated at 60 watts RMS, I was originally planning on running them of the HU (Pioneer DEH-960MP) which has a rating of 50X4 watts max. Since this HU is prob overrated I'm guessing the speakers are going to be getting about 20-30 watts each. Basically I'm wondering if it's even worth running the speakers off the head unit or whether I should get a 4 channel amp for my front stage and rear fill all off the one amp.

I don't want the back speakers to be a waste but I also dont want them over powering the front stage. Taking this into consideration would you guys run them off the HU or off a seperate amp which means more money. Thanks!

Username: Whitebread

Post Number: 9
20 to 30 watts to speakers in a car is gonna be pretty loud, you could run them off a seperate amp is you want it louder or are going for the best in SQ, but it's not needed, running of the HU will be fine.

slutho
Unregistered guest
amp them >_<

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4784
rear fill is fine if ya have folks in back.. it's great for that.
a head unit is usuallya bout 11-22 watts RMS x 4.
the alpine's Vdrive units put out 27wRMS x 4 and require 10ga wire for power from the battery :-)
just for reference..

as for those Focals, good speakers. try with the head unit. If that doesn't cut it, amplify them.
Generally rear fill isn't very loud though, and ideally it's mono not stereo. So, you shouldn't need much power.
loud rear fill for passengers usually ticks em off cause they can't talk.. the audio drowns them out. :-)
(this is why I like lots of speakers in the back of minivans.. it drowns out children.)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us