Speaker question

Username: Ealvarez

Post Number: 1
hi. been wondering for awhile, i bought a 10" PA speaker a few years ago at radioshack, i knew nothing at all back then about audio. not an expert now but i do know more then i did back then :-)

anyway, ive always wonderd if i could use this speaker in my car. the speaker is rated at 100w rms so a cheap amp could power it but ive always figured itd blow the speaker or something.

been trying to figure out how OHM's effect the speakers but all the info ive seen doesnt explain it clearly. the speaker is rated at 8 OHM, and i know car audio equipment is usually just 2 - 4 OHM's. whats the difference? what would the effect be if i add an amp to this speaker?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4832
the speaker is 8 ohms so you'd need an amp that delivers about 400wRMS @ 2 ohms in order to get 100 watts to that particular speaker..

or get a stereo 2-channel amp that puts out 50 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms.
bridge that.
you'll get 100 wRMS x 1 @ 8 ohms bridged.

it's not that great of a speaker to begin with though so don't expect much from it.
be sure teh box is built well for the speaker, too.

Username: Ealvarez

Post Number: 2
cool thanks for the info

i think ill go with a 400w amp and work with that. this speaker will hold me through until i can actually buy some good subs :-)

Bronze Member
Username: W_c_rontgen

Middle of Nowhere, Central WI USA

Post Number: 11
If you buy a decent amp, you will be able to use that as you improve your system. Stick with quality, it will pay off in the future!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us