Need help choosing an appropriate amp...

Username: Nightryder

Post Number: 1
Hi all...I've just recently purchased 2 12" Cousic subs in an enclosure and I'm trying to decide which amplifier would best power them. They are CF1244 model, 800 peak each, 400 RMS rated at 4 Ohms. Amps are probably my weakpoint with car audio...I used to have a 600 watt kenwood that lasted me for 5 years and powered 2 10's and 2 12's at different times. But apparently everyone says kenwood sucks, so that shows how much I know...

Anybody have any ideas as to how to best power these subs? I dont need competition style bass, but I dont want to underpower them either...price range? Idono really, up to 250?

Silver Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Williamsport, Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 168
Probably I'd recommend something along the range of the Kicker KX850.2. They can do some heavy hitting and I've had good luck with all the kicker amplifiers I've setup in the past. Should run within your price range as well.

Post Number: 2
the only amp that i found with those specs was a KX800.2, but that was rated at 2 ohms...if my speakers are 4 ohm i cant get a speaker rated at 2 ohms right?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 484
I'd be looking for a monoblock amp stable to 2 ohms(2 4ohm subs in parallel). Kicker makes a 600 and 650 watt class D monoblock.

-Fishy

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your help fishy...just to clarify though, you're saying I should get a 1 channel amp (600.1 or 650.1) that is only stable to 2 ohms? That will effectively push the two 4 ohm subs w/o draining the amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Mu_forever

Post Number: 19
I've got a pair of those coustic 10's and I'm running and mtx 801d on them.and they sound pretty good. You can find one pretty cheap on ebay now for around $200.00, Also there are a couple listed that are cheaper

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I've got a pair of those coustic 10's and I'm running and mtx 801d on them and they sound pretty good. You can find one pretty cheap on ebay now for around $200.00, also there are a couple listed that are cheaper

Post Number: 4
Hmm...okay one thing im unclear about...if im using a monoblock amplifier i'll have to run the speakers in parallel obviously. That will in turn bring the 4 ohm load that the speakers need down to a 2 ohm load...but at the same time, wont that decrease the necessary RMS of the amplifier to sufficiently power them by half? Aka...wont i just need a 400.1 to sufficiently power the 2 400 watt rms @ 4 ohm speakers when they are run at 2 ohm?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
The subs are rated at 400 watts a piece so they need 800 toal RMS wattage. The ohm load will not change how much power they can take.

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 152
it changes the amount of power most amps put out though, 2 ohm load typically doubles power of the amp. if the amp is 2 ohm stable. not including the jl audio amps that have the thing that makes them put out the same power from 1.5-4 ohms and from 12v to 14.4v.

Post Number: 5
okay, so a 400.1 monoblock thats stable at 2 ohms would sufficiently power these two 400 watt rms 4 ohm rated speakers? b/c if so, that's what ill look for...and when i say sufficiently, i mean i dont wanna blow them but i dont want the amp to die on me b/c its killing itself trying to power the subs either.

Post Number: 6
so...when i run the speakers in parallel, thus bringing them from 4 ohm to 2 ohm, they can still take 400 watts rms?

and if so, would a 400 watts rms x 1 @ 2 ohms, or an 800 watts rms x 1 @ 2 ohms be what these speakers need to power them sufficiently?

and how do i know if an amp is 2 ohm stable or not? if it has a stated output @ 2 ohms?

im sorry i keep asking what sounds like the same question...i just want to make sure im clear on it.

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 171
yes they can still handle 400w rms.
some amps list in their specs if they are 2 ohm stable.
im not sure if you would need to get a 800 or a 400 watt amp, I dont know if the 400 will put out 400 to each speaker or if it will divide the total between the subs or not. Um, Jonathan or Fishy or Glasswolf could prolly tell you.
S.O.S.

Post Number: 7
that last statement is what is confusing me...'i dont know if the 400 will put out 400 to each speaker or if it will divide the total between the subs or not'...anybody know?

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 166
ok, if they amp says it puts out 800 wrms @ 2 ohms that would put 400 to each speaker. you have to check the amp's rating at the ohms you will be running to determine it if will put out the proper power.

Post Number: 8
okay...so would the audiobahn A8000T be a decent choice?

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 178
I think I heard some people say that Audiobahn amps aren't that good.
But get what you want or can afford. Maybe Fosgate or Kicker.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us