Tarantulas---ring a bell anyone

Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 4
these subs made by soundstream are the loudest mothers ive ever heard, even louder than l7's. if theyre loaded on a selaed box they suck but theyre bad az if theyreput in the ported box down the middle. has anyone encountered these subs. please reply

Post Number: 6
ALSO----HAS ANYONE HEARD OF A STROKER. THE LEGEND GOES THAT IF U PUT IT TO THE MAX----THE 15--- IT MIGHT BE STRONG ENOUGH TO STOP UR HEART BEAT

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4533
the soundstream tarantula is a good sub.
comparing it to an L7 isn't saying much really as I'm not a big solobaric fan anyway.
I still prefer my RE triple X subs to be honest, but there's a big difference in price there too.

the cerwin-vega stroker and stroker pro are good subs, too.
great for SPL events but very touchy about being in just the right box to work to their peak performance.
They also like a lot of power.

an SPL of as little as 156dB can stop the human heart. Keep that in mind when you turn the stereo up really loud in a confined space.

Post Number: 7
THANX GLASS, but when u talk about price difference, waht are we talking about. is it worth it getting 3 10 tarantulas rather than 2 x.xx for the price or even 3 12's for two 12" re's

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4539
well, the triple X 12" is $369 plus shipping.
weighs 60 lbs.
I think my pair ran about $420 each shipped from RE.

not cheap subs, but they have an Xmech of 3", 38mm one-way Xmax.
they get very loud, and crystal clean clarity.
they do like to have at least 1,000 watts RMS each though

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
see that the thing. i can get three 12 tarantulas for the same amount of price. still stuck!!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4552
always comes down to money in the end. I know.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2241
Hey glass, how you running them? I saw on your site you had AP on the system layout picture. Did you do the membrane in front or behind the cone? Just curiosity. I found a car from a guy today and I think it's the one :-) 1970 Fairlane, all original, burgundy. Package tray is HUGE, I could probably squeek 3-4 subs AP back there.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4568
membrane in front, but I'm playing around with sealed boxes at the moment too.
trying two fiberglass enclosures tucked back into the rear sections behind the wheel wells.
conserving useable space

still messin around with everything

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2319
Thanks. I'm contemplating a lot of things. I was thinking front mounted membrane if I do AP, simpler to install and it'll couple better, and cut 2nd and 3rd order harmonics. I guess I'll have plenty of time to think it out saying $$$$ is a factor right now. I found an Arc dealer in Savannah, gonna call them up and see if they have the Rainbows I want to demo, I'm kinda wondering about the new Eclipse components too. I'm not too sure about them though, website says they now have a titanium tweeter, which is usually ugh in my book. Never know, though.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4652
heh
I may give ya a call this winter and see what kind of deal you can get on some alpine and dyn stuff for me. I'll let ya know after I finish with the motor and tranny, and body work... that's coming first.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2328
My brother closed the shop bout 2 months after I left, he had finished school, supposed to be getting a job in HR soon. We had been suffering this year cause of all the jobs lost in town, plus he was getting tired of audio in general. All you'll find there is some Italian restaurant named "The Brick Oven", at least that's what the rumor is. Should be good food, though :-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2329
I wish he'd kept it open long enough for me to get the system for the Fairlane, it would have been nice to get some Esotars at cost, and an Eclipse head unit and Ti subs. Oh well.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4659
heh ah well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us