Tuning question, glass, jonathan?

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 176
Ok i have 2 12'' V-Max's in a 4.3 cubic foot box with at least and 1inch of stapled fiberglas insulation in it on everyside. I have 2x4x10'' ports. I was wondering how i could get this to hit the lower frequencies, in the 20Hz range....Because when i play song like late night tip and such it wont go that low, Im running a 1200watt sony amp that puts out around 250-300w rms, and the V-Max isnt even at full excursion....any suggestions Plz!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2254
Not enough power to start with. If you're putting 250-300W RMS total, you're underpowering the drivers by half, each sub needs 300W RMS. Excursion won't reach peak with so little power. Also, your tuning is around mid 30s, so really low (20 hz or so) bass is going to roll off a good bit, so it's not going to be as authoritative. Only options are more power and a lower tune.

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 178
well, sorry typo it puts out about 250-300w on each channel. I was wondering if i could add a crap load of polly fill or add extensions to my ports or make them baffled in some way?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2275
If you added a baffle, it normally would help, but since the box size cuts in half, tuning will remain pretty close to what you have now. Try running WinISD to calculate port length, BUT remember that adding more port length also cuts net volume, so you'll have to compensate. Polyfill helps a little, but it's mainly a crutch and won't do as much as a longer port or different box would.

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 179
Ok, so how do i make a baffel?
Can i make one out of wood??

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2276
It won't help that much, that's what I was saying. Port length and polyfill are your best options, port length being #1.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 877
jon i think what steven means with the baffle is not seperating the box in half but exciting the air inside the box to create more spl ....steven to make a baffle simply cut the board to desired length prob about two thirds the length of the inside box width and place it about 4 inches or so from back of the subwoofer magnet and this should work but if you want to experiment you could have optional mounting positions or even angles to see what effect this has on bass output but remember when adding this board your box tune will rise slightly because of less box volume

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 878
but if all you want is a lower box tune then yes jon is right but the baffle idea can still be added no mater what tune you have your ports at

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 181
Ok well i added at least 2 more pounds of polly fill and routered the ports on the outside so now instead of straight out it is a curve.

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 183
Yea that just about worked, doesnt get the low 20's but it hits pritty hard, i still wanna have the high preasure on my ears. Ok I have another story, i was in detroit to visit my cousin and i guess he had his sytem stolen from his ranger ext cab and what he has right now are 2 rf HX2's DVC and a pioneer 500watt amp, his box was about 4 cubic feet and had 2 massive ports that had huge flares on both ends, i would guess at least 4-5 inchers. When he sent a 20 Hz test tone threw it, i was blown away, it was so deep it made me feel like my ears were going to pop....He didnt have a cap or an upgraded alternator or anything just those subs and factory 6x9's and an equilizer. I was just wondering how in the hell he got it to be so loud with just that little amp. And it was louder than mine and i have 2 V-Max's with the sony amp.....Blew me away(couldnt stand it for more than 5 seconds and stuck my head out the window :D)

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 184
And i cant figure out why i cant hit full X-Max on my V-Max's....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us