My alternator died. Should I go two batteries or one big alternator

Username: Kenzbud

WA United States

Post Number: 1
So my alternator finaly hit the grave yard yesterday. I guess that's what an 800 watt stereo does after a year. So now, I am debating on whether to put another optima yellow top (already have one) and if so how to wire. Or to get a bigger alternator, like a 160 amp alternator. Stock it comes with a 70 amp.
I am iffy about getting a bigger alternator because they either don't directly bolt in, they are EXPENSIVe as f***, or just worried about overheating issues. Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 525
You need to get a H.O. Alternator. A second battery will just make it harder on the alternator and kill it sooner.

Username: Kenzbud

WA United States

Post Number: 5
I've tried excessiveamperage.com and ohio generator and mralternator.com
Excessive said they would sell me one but it would require mod's to fit in. Ohio would sell me one for around $500!!!!
Any other alternnatives???

Bronze Member
Username: Fishy

Post Number: 11
What vehicle do you have?

I picked up a remanufactured 170 amp alternator for about 180 bucks with shipping for my '96 Explorer here:

http://www.motorcityreman.com/

Got here quick and since it was remanufactured it used the same housing as my 95 amp stock one and basically plugged right in. Took about 20 minutes to install and has worked great so far. Voltage is rock solid 14v+ above about 1200 rpm with lights and a/c on and a 900 watt system w/ a 2 farad cap cranked as loud as I can stand it. Haven't even bothered upgrading the 6 gauge(I think) alternator and ground wires yet.

To be honest I have no idea how good an alternator I purchased. Maybe someone else can comment if they've heard bad things about Motor City Reman, but so far I'm satisfied.

-Fishy

[note] I've a slightly better than stock battery. I don't crank the tunes with the engine off so as far as I'm concerned my alternator runs my system. My battery starts my car.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 442
well said fishy and i agree alternator is the solution think bout it optima yellow $100 plus, alternator 265 tops with 90 to 100 amps at idle depending on the size of the alternator

Username: Odddoylerules

Post Number: 2
alternator all the way, i blew 3 alternators in a month in a 72 cutlass, before upgrading to a single wire high amp unit. cost was almost 200 bucks but now the lights are brighter, the cigarette lighter heats up quicker, the heater blows better... one of the best mods i ever did... doesnt seem like it'd make a big difference huh. yet it does.

kmurda
Unregistered guest
how do you hook a cdplayer,lcd screen and xbox all together into your subs in your car

TechN9ne
Unregistered guest
Try alterstart.com, I got my H.O. Alternator for $280 shipped to my door and it is a 150 amp alternator. Plus, I didn't have to buy any extra brakets or plugs. I just had to upgrade the wire to the battery.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5190
the second battery will just put more strain on the alternator.
the batteries only prolong play time when the car isn't running.
the alternator still supplies current when the car is running, amd not only powers your audio system, but recharges the battery(ies)
you want an HO alt, and Ohio's price isn't that crazy. My lestech was $750.
Stinger is another alternative
also try 4alterstart.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us