Building a sub box and will getting a second 12 make a difference?

Bronze Member
Username: Followyoursole

Post Number: 28
how much is it usually if i build my own box? Im thinking of building a sealed box for 2 12's. How much usually for the materials? I just want a rough extimate before I go to home depot. mdf board, is that the same as partical board? Im a newb, i know =/. And I should seal with liquid nails and screws right? And my infity sub is reccomended at 1.25 cubic feet each. So Ill have to put them each in their own chamber correct? Any help would be aprreciated. The reason why Im building a box is cause I now need another sub. Im running 1 12 right now and it doesnt seem to be enough for my car. Will getting a second 12inch sub make a difference to helping my system? If i get the second sub itll make my system .."2 infinity dvc references in sealed box running off a mono profile amp pushin out 420 watts at 2 ohms" Thanks again for all the help so far with my pass questions.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4549
"how much is it usually if i build my own box? Im thinking of building a sealed box for 2 12's. How much usually for the materials?"

about $50 US give or take.

$18 for a 4x8' sheet of .75" MDF
4" ID PVC tube for ports
liquid nails caulk-tube
1.5" coarse-thread drywall screws (1 box)

you'll want a jigsaw, cordless drill/driver, circular saw if ya have one, tape measure, pencils
a can of 3M super-77 spray adhesive
automotive carpet and scissors
speaker box terminals (radio shack) and perhaps a soldering pen and some resin core solder to solder the wiring to the terminals inside the box.
lastly, some clear silicone (caulk tube again) and a caulking gun.
this will seal the box inside around the joints, ports, terminals, etc.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us