Sony explod 350rms mono amp

Username: Jbl16

Post Number: 1
Hi, ive been having some problems with either the amp or the speaker not really sure. While playing normally on the road the sub cut outs completly at times, only after a few minutes does it start producing sound again. This happened also with my sony sub installed, then switched to an alpine type R and kept happening. Today while driving to work the sub seemed to sound really low even with the amp at less than half boost, and wouldnt respond much to any bass lvl changes. What do you guys think blown amp, or I have some other problem : /

Bronze Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 65
U have sony buddy thats what the problem is.. sony subs,amps anything sucks!

Post Number: 2
lol, well is there any way, visually that i can check its the amp?, I'm about to buy an alpine mrd-301 amp, just wanna be sure my amp is wasted

Post Number: 3
anyone? :-(

Juggalo Jeff
Unregistered guest
u dont live in michigan by any chance do you?

Post Number: 4
????, no : /

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4577
you can check the amp with a voltmeter (DMM) but I can tell ya pretty much it's the amp failing or clipping.

if the subs failed, they'd cut out and stay that way. it wouldn't be something that happened after warming up.

KrazyK
Unregistered guest
Had the same problem with my system (Kenwood 3003) and amp,. The sound will completely cut off for about 3 - 7 seconds, then back on again. the louder I had it on the more often it would do it. Found out that the ground connection wasn't making good contact, even though I had bolted it to the seat-belt from the chassi. So i ran a separate cable directly from the battery terminal... that Solved the problem!

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 551
Yeah I never understood why one of those seatbelt bolts wouldn't make a good ground point, but Arc Audio specifically recommends not using them in their amp manuals. Why I don't know. Maybe they sometimes use some sort of lock nut(or thread) that has plastic inside it which could intefere with good contact with the chassis.

Why Jonathan, oh why?

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4641
for one thing, that metal is usually painted.
you need to sand to bare metal for a good ground point.
also they don't want people modifying or messing with the bolts that hold down a car's seats.
this can be hazardous if you're in an accident, and they don't want to get sued. :-)
last reason is, the seat can move a bit, and cause the connection to wear or become faulty. that causes a poor ground point.
you're better off just sanding down a spot next to the seat bolts, away from any brake or fuel lines, and using that with a washer and ring terminal.

Post Number: 6
Went ahead and ordered the apline mrd-m301, I'tll be here tomorrow. Hmm about the ground i checked it and it seems fine, its metal piece with a bold goign in to one of the side panels in my trunk,, that should be enough contact.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us