Should I replace my speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Bigjay

Post Number: 38
Ok, I need some help. I have a 2004 Chevy extended cab pickup 1500. It has the 6 speaker bose system in it. My plan was to replace the entire system, door speakers, head unit and to add 2 subs and an amp. My question is, should I be concerned with replacing the speakers with something else? With this being GM's "premier" sound system line, should I be concerned with replacing the speakers at all and just stick to the head unit, amp and subs or should I do it all? I have always considered bose to be an excellent company for speaker products but that was all in home theater systems, I didn't know how they rated for car audio

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2131
Bose really sucks for quality, including their high end home audio. Biggest marketing scam out there. This site will explain why.
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
I can guarantee you you'd see a huge improvement in sound quality by upgrading to some quality front component speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
ok, now I have a question, I need to keep this under budget right now, so here is a question, I have decided on the following for my truck, 2 12" infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1d subs, sub enclosure by topedgeonline.com to hold the subs under the rear seat, MTX 801d amp(wire each sub parallel @ 2 ohms to get the amp to do 800x1 @ 2 ohms. I need to find front and rear speakers for the truck. The front unfortunately can't have a top mnt hieght of over 3/8" and I have planned on doing the Infinity Kappa 462.5cfp 4x6 for the back. So what I need now to complete my setup is a good set of front speakers to fit the spot which can be from 5 1/4 to 6 3/4 in size but has to fit the mnt hieght to work and I need a good CD/MP3 head unit. Any suggestions on these 2. I thought about Components but then I would need an amp and that would take me over budget, I was thinking possibly a nice set of 3 way speakers for the front.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2138
3 ways would be an improvement. Don't worry about rear speakers, not necessary. Look into the Infinity Kappa 2 and 3 way coaxials, also the Eclipse Point source coaxials, both with the grill off aren't over 3/8" (pretty sure of that). JL coaxials as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Thank you for the information. I have been looking through crutchfield for information on what I can do for my truck. Can you tell me where I can find mnt height dimensions for those Infinity Kappa speakers? I really like those and when I went to choose them for my truck on crutchfields site, it said they would not fit and the guy that I e-mailed on it said exactly what I wrote in my previous post, they were too high. I just replied asking him if that was with or without the grill on the measurements he gave me.

Can you recommend a good head unit for my system. I had been thinking about the Panasonic CQ-C9800U unit but I have been reading posts that Panasonic is not good or is this unit the exception?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2143
You could email Infinity, or go to a shop and measure if anyone around has them. It's really hard for me to say what'll work b/c 3/8" is so small and top height isn't really something I put into memory :-). Anyway, you could enter your vehicle on Crutchfield, Cardomain, etc. and tell me what they say will work, and you can choose what'll be best from there. Panasonics tend to be more unreliable than some, I personally like Alpine and Eclipse, the Pioneer Premiers are nice as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
i e-mailed infinity yesterday and i am awaiting a response. According to the crutchfield person i was in e-mali contact with yesterday, thier measurements was that the mnt height of the speakers was 1 1/8". I put my vehicle into both, crutchfield and CarDomain and Crutchfield says it won't take it but Car Domain says it will but it had an A for the code which means it needs an adapter. I guess I"ll have to e-mail car domain to see what they say.

Thanks for the info on the head units. I will check those three out. The panasonic looks cool but I still want to make sure I get a HU that is reliable and won't break on me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us