I think my amp exploded...

Username: Biohazrd

Post Number: 1
I just finished re-wiring my system. I noticed that my speakers automatically cut out after the volume reached a certain point. I then proceded to go to the amp, and do something stupid, I cranked the gain. I saw a flash, and smoke started POURING out of the amp, the fuse was blown, but I dont have another to check if the amp still works. What could cause this to happen in the first place?

Juggalo Jeff
Unregistered guest
Bad wiring possibly on ur part or short circuit the amp is most likely toast

Username: Biohazrd

Post Number: 2
Like, a bad ground?

Juggalo Jeff
Unregistered guest
not sure what did u rewire though?

Bronze Member
Username: Noblemobile

Van Nuys, CA USA

Post Number: 16
You blew some resistors from bad wiring. Will cost you about $65 to get it fixed. Apms only smoke from a bad wire job.

Username: Pete0403

Post Number: 1
I did something like that after (stupidly) running JBL GTQ360 bridged into a 1.3Ohm load for a few years until it finally blew. Check your spkr wiring with a voltmeter. Check the resistance this'll tell you right away if you have a short. If you want to fix the amp, you'll pay an arm and a leg. You can open it up and try to fix it yourself (you've got nothing to lose). More than likely only one side of the amp (unless it's 1ch mono) will be blown. You'll be able to tell wich transistors are blown if it was smoking. just write the #'s down from the other side and go to a parts store and ask them. I was quoted $150-200 CAD to fix my amp, I fixed it myself for $30 and it's back in action now. (at a 4 ohm load) I knew very little about electronics except the basics.
Sorry to write a book...hope it helps if you decide to go this route.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us