Porting box for 15s

Silver Member
Username: Heavyb

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 150
hey i went to a website that this site recomended to see what the diameter of my port would need to be to not get port for a vmax 15 and it gave me a figure of about 9 inches. that is huge!!! i thought u only needed a 6 inch port for a 15. please explain this to me. this has confused me.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 824
ok blare i ran a box size of 3 cf. for a 15. which can happen for a woofer of that size at 35 hz and it came out to a port volocity of .05 at 500 rms power; and that is a number you would want to shoot for volocity wise for an spl box. Now take that same woofer and tune it lower or add more power to it and you have even more port volocity. So now you can see why they recommend one 9 inch port. (by the way the port came out to 40 inches long) A slot port would be called for.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2127
Anything under about .17 would be good, at least that should keep it from getting noisy. You could probably go with 2 4" ports or one 6" port and get good results, w/ a lot less port length.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2129
Of course, lower is better, but sometimes space doesn't allow it. .17 m/s is 5% of the speed of sound, by the way.

Silver Member
Username: Heavyb

Hopkins, Sc Usa

Post Number: 154
if u do a slot port how wide does it need to be for 12s and also 15s

Silver Member

Post Number: 829
blare its really dependant on the power the box size and the port tune try this site out with a few box ideas and youll see what im talking about

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=ventcalculator

Silver Member

Post Number: 830
use the link i gave previously to get the feel for things by checking the port volocity then use this link to understand the slot port idea

http://www.audiobahninc.com/frame2004.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 831
sorry after you go there go to tech support then click calculators

Username: Cleveland

Post Number: 5
i would only do a port job if you want spl ?
go with seald if you want sound quality ?
thats my long expereance!!!

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 243
Actually dick, if you have a ported box built and tuned correctly, you can still achieve good sq. And you can still get great spl with sealed boxes. I know you may reach higher decible's with ported boxes, but IMO sealed sounds a lot nicer. It's cleaner and tighter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us