Question about AMP Install on factory HU

Username: Keith10247

Post Number: 1
Good evening. I have a quick question for you regarding an amp installation I have just performed. I have a Lincoln LS with the Alpine audio system it has 6 speakers and 2 stock subs (Powered by a factory amp in the trunk) I spliced the signal leads into the harness coming from the head unit before they come into the stock amp. Needless to say, this did not work. The signal coming from the head unit is only 2 volts. To get a signal strong enough to power up the amp, I decided to splice into the output from the factory amp. This seems to work fine, but it was pointed out ot me that this will fry the amp after a little bit of use. Is this true? I would replace the headunit but I do not like the idea of losing my center console speakers in the car and also the stearing wheel controls.

A little about the setup:
Factory alpine headunit and amp
Rockford Fosgate 8002 Amp bridged into 1 channel
2 10" Alpine Type r's wired in paralell.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Keith

Bronze Member
Username: Forcesofchaos

Post Number: 59
not sure what exactly your want but for me i have similar things i have facotry hu and speakers, and a new amp

i connected new amp and for remote wire spliced the hu remote calbe and connected it into amp, i connected my subs to my amp for output, i spliced my back speakers and connected them into the amp for the input from deck. If you splice speakers you will need a high level input cable or a lineout converter for amp. connect subs to amp and done.

Post Number: 2
Here is a little ascii diagram of how I have it laid out. Please disregard the bad ascii work, I work much better in visio :-) Please let me know if you see anything wrong with the way I spliced the Rockford Fosgate 8002 into the output line from the stock amp.

----------------
| |
| H/U |
----------------
||
+-
||
||
||
------------
|Factory |
|Amp |
------------
||
--[Factory Subs Left and Right]
||
||
||
------------
| RF 8002 |
| Amp |
------------
||
||
||
-------------
| Alpine |
|Type R Sub |
-------------

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 328
A 2 volt output should be enough to power that amp. I checked the RF site and it seems you don't have any hi-level inputs so I assume you wired up some rca connectors off that 2v splice( or does the stock amp utilize RCA cables?).

Did you try messing with the gain on the the amp. RF doesn't list a input sensitivity range for the 8002 but most of todays amps can go with a 2v input voltage. How did you determine that 2v amount anyways? Are you sure its 2 volts?

The speaker outputs off the stock amp can probably provide a damaging amount of voltage to that 8002's inputs. You can use a line out converter to "step down" the voltage to an acceptable level but they can add distortion and decrease frequency response.

The best thing to do would be to use that "2 volt" input if at all possible. If your head unit doesn't use RCA or some other type of shielded cable, I'd splice in close to the head unit if possible to help prevent noise from entering your system.

I dunno, Jonathan might be able to make some better suggestions. He's the install guy.

-Fishy

Post Number: 3
Thanks Fishy for the response. In response to splicing into the lead from the head unit, basically is what happened when i spliced off the lead before the factory amp, the factory amp would stop working as well as the RF not kicking on. The gain adjustments had no effect at all. According to other people who have attempted this, this was their finding and told me it was impossible to do anything with the stock head unit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us