Want my car to tremble !

Username: Bassfreak596

Post Number: 1
i got a choice.. very narrow though..

jbl 1220d vs velocity vxs 12
or sony 12 ??
am new to all this stuff so all of you all who really know this stuff please suggest me which one ?

is kenwood 7210 a good amp for these ??

thanks in advance !

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 129
Stay away form sony, kenwood, and what ever that volocity thing is......nasty walmart stuff yuckey

Post Number: 4
so which one is good ?

blaupunkt velocity is an awseome competition sub.. chek it out online..

so u think jbl's r good amongst these ? cool.. thanks..

kenwood amp not good ?
which one will go with them then ?

can u give me th specs for a 500rms sub ? n 2 of 6x9 spkrs..

Anonymous

try mmats jl resonant engineering or image dynamics idmax stay with these and you'll always be smiling except when you go to the dentist to get your filling repaired

Post Number: 5
but is jbl gto1220d a good enuf sub..

Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 1
Help!

I have two Alpine Type Rs DVC 4 ohm 300 RMS/1000 Peak. If I could I would like to have a 2 ohm load and use a 2 channel amp to power the two. If I was to wire the coils on each speaker in parallel by wiring the + terminal from one coil to the other + terminal (same for the negative terminals) and then run the + and - back to the amp on one channel for each sub would this work? The end result would be a sub on each channel.

4 x 4 = 16 / 8 = a 2 ohm load could I do this?

Then if I can do this and my amp puts out 300 Watts x 2 @ 2 ohms each coil woild get 150 watts right? If the speaker is rated at 300 RMS is this enough power? Or does each coil need 300 Watts? Sorry for the questions, I have never wired DVC subs before.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1986
Two ways to do it. Either wire the coils in parallel and give the subs their own channel, or wire the coils in series, then the subs in parallel to the amp in a bridged configuration. Either way would give each sub 300W RMS. Each coil takes 150, 300W is the total for the driver (total between both coils). By the way, the way you calculated for the impedance is wrong. 1/Rt=1/r1 + 1/r2 Rt is total resistance, r1 being the impedance of voice coil 1 and r2 being the impedance of voice coil two. So, 1/rt=1/4 + 1/4.
1/rt=2/4. Using reciprocals, 4/2 equals a 2 ohm load. That's for parallel wiring. For series, you just add the impedance together.

Anonymous

u could wire them parralel and get a 1ohm load stable if your amp and if the amp is bridgable you could most likeli double the power to the subs. but since it is 1 channel rated a 300 watts that mean 2 each sub is 300 watt rms

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1989
Very few 2 channel amps are 1 ohm stable bridged. In fact, very few are even 2 ohm stable bridged.

Post Number: 2
Alright cool, thought the parallel coil wiring would work it just looked a little shady. Ahhh I see how to calculate it now but hey, I still came up with 2 ohms heh... This has brought a few more questions into my head, hope you don't mind.
1. I have read many many many many posts on Type R enclosures and what they need to sound the best and everyone seems to have a dif. opinion. Alpine recently changed the site around and I am unable to find the specs for what type of box and space is recommended for these subs, could you help me out here?
2. I will achieve a 2 ohm load with my DVC 4 ohm speakers wired in parallel correct?
3. If each speaker is 1,000 Watts peak does that mean I need an amp up to 2,000 peak power
or just 1,000 peak?

Thanks again, I appreciate everyone's help.

Bronze Member
Username: Saosin

Post Number: 42
Damien, you don't wanna look at the watts peak, u wanna look at the rms rating, i beileve the type R's are 300w rms but can handle up to 500 rms, they are very nice subs, what enclosure are you putting them in, sealed or ported, i beileve for sealed it's around .8-1.3cf but i'm not to certain, i've just seen them in a ported enclosure

Post Number: 3
Just a correction for the above:

2. I will achieve a 2 ohm load with my DVC 4 ohm speaker's coils wired in parallel correct?

Post Number: 4
I always tried to match the RMS and peak power rating as close as I could with all my speakers I've had, there really is no need to do that? I wanted to put the Type Rs in a sealed ported enclosure. I listen to lots of rock, Death metal, Thrash, and some techno is there really a huge dif in quality between a 10" and a 12" sub as far as sound wise? For instance will rock sound like crap on a 12" sub?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us