Budget $100, 6 1/2" Fronts Needed For Lemmy & Motorhead...

Username: Lamf77

Post Number: 5
Hi,
When I first installed my Pioneer 450 Premier head unit in my ZX2 I also put in a pair of Polk 6 1/2" speakers up front that I bought from Crutchfield. The head unit alone was not enough to really power these speakers, I did not have an amp installed at the time so I returned them.
I found a great pair of Sony 3-ways which normally go for about $75 on clearance at Wal-mart (of all places) for $20! I put Alpine 5x7`s in the rear. Ran this for about 6 months and sound way okay. Then I bought a US Acoustics 4065 (4X65) and a pair of CDT 6 1/2" coaxials for the front. These speakers came recommended and they were a grea deal. Well now that they are installed they sound very harsh, aka like crap. A lot of treble and shrilly sound to the highs. Very annoying for hard rock & metal (I was listening to Motorhead's new "Inferno" album). Plus they did not simply drop in to the doors, I had to drill some new holes make some modifications (pain in the @ss). I contacted tech support at CDT and he stated these speakers are primarily for "rear fill", whatever that means. He said I can adjust the tweeter position, but I really doubt that will help alot. If I`m going to take off my front doors, it`s going to be for new front speakers. The Alpines in the back provide decent mid range and some bass, but not of the annoying treble I`m getting up front.
So I`m in need again of some 6 1/2" front speakers $100 give or take is my prioce range. Anyone out there who listens to hard rock & metal on some decent front speakers, please send some of your advice or opinions my way.
Mike

kklagge
Unregistered guest
Did you get the CDT's that have the titanium tweeter? Those are very harsh. YOu can more than likely replace just the tweeter with a CDT silk tweeter and that will fix your problem. I listen to a lot of metal and titanium or aluminum tweeters suck big time for that kind of music.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1957
Coaxials aren't the best for great sound quality anyway due to the crossover (or lack thereof). I'd recommend you try to ebay for a component set. If you're sticking to coaxials in that price range the Eclipse Point source coaxials are very nice($120 on www.woofersetc.com), and would work well w/ your amplifier power. Good soft sound to them as well. Infinity Kappas also are nice, but bright in treble so you'd probably want something different.

Post Number: 8
Okay,
All I thought I need was a 10" sub & amp.
But my front CDT are harsh as hell.
So I buy a set of CDT Components rated @ 125rms.
Now I need to buy a good amp to power them up front. According to my US Acoustics 4065 manual, I can hook my back speakers to the rear outputs and bridge the other outputs for a subwoofer.
If my front speakers are components powered @ 100 watts rms, my rear speakers are 5x7's powered at 65 watts rms, and I get a subwoofer rated at 100-150 wtts rms should that work? Or will the front components overpower the sub? Someone suggested I rewire the rear speakers and run them back off the head unit, get the components and new amp for the front, and get a dual coil sub. Use my current 4 channel amp for the sub, bridge my current amp and run one coil to the front out and one to the back?
Any advice on this?
Mike

Post Number: 9
Or any decent components that will work well at 65 watts rms?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us